Ash Stars as Town Return to Winning Ways

31 Mar 2019 in Match Reports

Grant Spencer opens the scoring

Grant Spencer celebrates the opening goal

Ash Leather rounds the keeper

Town celebrate Ash Leathers goal

Ashley Leather assisted one and scored one as Town eased past Cammell Laird with a 2-0 win at Ericstan Park. 

Wythenshawe Town’s number seven took the game by the scruff of the neck in the second half after a frustrating first 45 minutes. Town’s first goal came after 53 minutes, when Leather accelerated past the Laird full-back and headed towards the by-line, before spotting Grant Spencer at the far-post and producing a pinpoint low cross for Spencer to tap home. 

With 15 minutes left to play, Leather sealed all three points for Wythenshawe Town. A long ball was hoofed up towards Brad Byrne, who was then alert enough to spot the run of Leather and flick the ball around the defender, into the path of the winger. Leather only had the Cammell Laird goalkeeper, Michael Dixon, to beat and the winger demonstrated his prowess in front of goal by going around the helpless Dixon and smashing the ball into an empty net.

The afternoon had looked set to be a frustrating one, when the match kicked-off. Wythenshawe Town were quick out of the blocks, forcing saves out of Dixon but unable to breach the Laird number one.

Mason Mostyn was soon called into action for Town, after 10 minutes, palming over a powerful shot to deny Laird from taking the lead.

Ten minutes later, it was Wythenshawe Town’s turn to test the Laird the defence. An indirect freekick from Jerome Wright fell nicely for Lee Gregory but he could only skewer a shot over the bar.

Both teams fancied their chances as the game began to open up. Cammell Laird’s Neil Ricci was left in space on the edge of the box when he fired a ferocious shot against Mostyn’s bar, in the 24thminute.

A few moments later, Leather picked up the loose ball, following poor Laird freekick, and turned on the afterburners as he raced towards goal. The Laird defenders managed to steer him out wide, but he still managed to produce a cross; unfortunately, there wasn’t a Town player on the end of it.

Half an hour had past, and Jamie Baguley came within a few inches of his first Town goal. Wright whipped in a freekick and the ball dropped to Baguley who smashed a rocket-like shot onto the bar. The rebound fell into the penalty area, at the feet of Byrne, but he could only hit the post.

After the restart, Wythenshawe Town hit the frame once more. This time it was Wright who was denied. The winger found himself in acres of space on the edge of the box and rifled a shot onto the angle of the goalpost.

However, Ashley Leather soon took over; tormenting the Cammell Laird left-back for the rest of the afternoon. His excellent work down the right wing teed-up Spencer for the first goal and he also managed to bag himself a well-deserved goal.

Wythenshawe Town held on for the victory. A win which sees Wythenshawe Town leapfrog local rivals Wythenshawe Amateurs into 4thplace, for the time being, as the Amateurs have two games in-hand. 

The victory is also the perfect anniversary gift for Wythenshawe Town’s management team James Kinsey & Dan Whiteside, who took charge 1 year ago today.


Older Newer