Crewe FC 2-0 Wythenshawe Town

20 Aug 2017 in Match Reports

Crewe FC 2-0 Wythenshawe Town Crewe FC 2-0 Wythenshawe Town

Wythenshawe Town went down 2-0 to Crewe FC at the Cumberland Arena on Saturday afternoon, which condemned them to their second successive defeat of the week.

The hosts started the game brightly and took the lead on seven minutes, when Harry Ashworth was played in behind the Wythenshawe defence and squared the ball across the front of goal and captain Nathan Southern was on hand to hit home from close range into an empty net.

Things could have got worse for the visitors just four minutes later, when a free kick was pumped into the penalty area and Jake Maunder found himself unmarked but his header went just inches wide of Jonny Musanga’s post.

Despite starting the game slowly, Wythenshawe had a dominant period just after the twenty minute mark. Firstly, Niall Rhodes was found from a Jake Gregory free kick, but his effort went over the top of Arran Lyons goal. Just eight minutes later the visitors had their best chance of the first half which fell to Kayle Power, after he beat the offside trap and found himself clean through on goal, but his effort from just outside the penalty area was saved by the legs of Lyons and the ball went out for a corner kick.

Halftime: Crewe FC 1-0 Wythenshawe Town

Straight from the kick off the hosts went on the attack and won a free kick, and from the resulting set piece, Josh Ruane’s ball into the box was headed to the far post and Nathan Southern found himself unmarked and he struck beyond Musanga to double his and Crewe’s tally for the afternoon.


After falling further behind, the visitors started getting the ball down and playing football and on 54 minutes left fullback Ash McGrath bought the ball out of the defence and played it into debutant Abadaki’s feet and the tricky winger managed to turn his marker but saw his shot from range go inches wide of the upright. Just three minutes later, Abadaki was found again, this time from Omar Thompson but his shot from the edge of the area went high and wide of Lyon’s goal.

Just after the hour mark Wythenshawe had another opportunity to half the deficit, when Kayle Power’s corner was met by fullback Jake Gregory but his goal bound header was well blocked by the Crewe defence with the ball going out for another corner to the visitors. On 74 minutes Gregory combined well with James Taylor and bulldozed his way through two challenges before shooting from just inside the area, but his effort was straight at Arron Lyons.

Fulltime: Crewe FC 2-0 Wythenshawe Town

Wythenshawe are next in action on Wednesday 23rd August when they visit Denton Town with kick off at 6.30pm.


Older Newer