Knutsford FC 3-2 Wythenshawe Town

28 Feb 2018 in Match Reports

Knutsford FC 3-2 Wythenshawe Town Knutsford FC 3-2 Wythenshawe Town

A five-goal thriller at Manchester Road saw Knutsford FC run out 3-2 winners against Wythenshawe Town.

A very even start to the game didn’t see either goalkeeper make a significant save until the 15th minute when Ed Walker and Gavin Salmon combined well but Salmon’s effort from just outside the penalty area was straight at Craig Ellison. 

The visitors then had the next best chance of the half when captain Joe Yarwood picked up the ball 25 yards from goal but his curling effort went just wide of the far post. Straight from the resulting goal kick Knutsford went up the other end and forced Ben Daniels into a terrific close-range save to keep the score level.

Just before the half-hour mark Wythenshawe had the best chance of the half when Yarwood played a ball into striker Ed Walker's feet and he spun his marker and took his effort on the half-volley forcing Ellison to make a terrific save and knock the ball over the top of the crossbar.

Halftime: Knutsford FC 0-0 Wythenshawe Town 

Just after half-time, Wythenshawe took the lead when a through ball from Isaac Graham found Ed Walker and he fired across the oncoming Ellison and saw his effort nestle in the far corner. Straight from the kick-off, Knutsford equalised when a ball from the right found Liam Crellin-Myers unmarked in the penalty area and he fired beyond Ben Daniels in the Wythenshawe goal.

Just six minutes after drawing level the hosts could have taken the lead when former Wythenshawe player Ben Brooks was picked out by Sean Lynch only to see his effort well saved by Daniels.

With little, over ten minutes to go Wythenshawe took the lead when Craig Ellison went to clear a back pass but his clearance came off the on-rushing Gavin Salmon and the ball ended up in the back of the net. Again, though the hosts managed to find an equaliser almost straight away when a ball from the edge of the area went over the top of the defence and found Dean Warburton unmarked and despite another terrific save from Ben Daniels to keep the ball out the first time the Knutsford player put home the rebound.

After both goalkeeper Ben Daniels and defender Paulo Incaque received lengthy treatment the referee played 9 minutes of added time and deep into that time it was heartbreak for Wythenshawe when Knutsford grabbed the winner. After a goal-mouth scramble, the ball fell to Crellin-Myers who hit home from close range for his second of the match and ensure that all the points were staying with the Manchester Road club.

Fulltime: Knutsford FC 3-2 Wythenshawe Town


Older Newer