Last gasp joy for Town on the road

26 Nov 2018 in Match Reports

Town celebrate

Town celebrate (2)

Town away at Stockport Town

Stockport on the attack

Town attack a corner away at Stockport

A 94th Brad Byrne goal secured Wythenshawe Town all three points against Stockport Town on Saturday afternoon.

Town came into the fixture on the back of Tuesday nights victory at home against Barnton FC and started the game in the best possible way as Lee Gregory gave the visitors the lead on just four minutes. After a goalmouth scramble, the Stockport Town defence only managed to clear the ball as far as Gregory just inside the penalty area and he calmly slotted home past Andrei Stinca in the opposition goal. 

The visitors could have doubled their lead on ten minutes when Ste Yarwood put a terrific ball across goal which Dylan Stringer-Moth met but his effort was well saved by Stinca. 

On 24 minutes Stockport did have the ball in the back of the net when former Town player Gavin Salmon was in behind the Wythenshawe defence before his shot beat Jake Aldred but he was adjudged offside and the goal was ruled out. Ten minutes later though Salmon was on hand to draw Stockport level after fullback Joshua Robinson got in behind the right and played a low ball across goal which Salmon backheeled into the back of the net.

The equaliser seemed to spur on the hosts as just two minutes after getting level they took the lead. Callum Done picked the ball up on the right and played a ball into the path of left winger Braulio Maieco and he fired beyond Aldred from just inside the penalty area. 

On the stroke of halftime, Town got the half’s fourth goal as a Ste Yarwood corner was met by captain Chris Middleton at the near post and he powerfully headed beyond Stinca to draw Town level. 

Halftime: Stockport Town 2-2 Wythenshawe Town

The second half saw the hosts start on the front foot and they retook the lead just two minutes after the restart. Callum Dolan got away down the right and put a ball into the penalty area and Gavin Salmon was again on hand to fire beyond Jake Aldred from close range. 

The game then saw both sides limited to only half chances, that was until just after the hour mark when Stockport Town goalkeeper Andrei Stinca attempted clearance was straight into the path of substitute Liam Crellin-Myers but Stinca then made up for the clearance as he pulled off a great save to deny Crellin-Myers.

Town continued in search of the equaliser and captain Middleton must have thought he had his second of the afternoon when a Ben Steer throw-in was flicked on to the Town skipper but his powerful header was well kept out by Stinca. Just two minutes later though Town did draw level when a ball split open the Stockport defence and Brad Byrne ran onto it before colt slotting beyond Stinca.

On 77 minutes Wythenshawe were reduced to ten men when Connor Brotherton received a second yellow card, and the hosts looked to use their one-man advantage as they started piling on the pressure and create chances. First, a free kick was played into the area which Thomas Whitty met but his header was straight at Aldred who was able to make a comfortable save before captain Kiarno Samms picked up the ball 30 yards from goal but he saw his effort go over the upright. 

It looked like the game was going to fizzle out into a draw and both sides were going to share the points, but then in the 94th minute a ball was played into Liam Crellin-Myers on the edge of the area and he managed to pick out the unmarked Brad Byrne and he hit low beyond Stinca in the Stockport goal to ensure all three points were going back to Wythenshawe. 

Full time: Stockport Town 3-4 Wythenshawe Town

Town line-up: Aldred, Meachin, Parr, Brotherton, Middleton, Gregory, Steer, Yarwood (Farrand 80), Landregan (Crellin-Myers 56), Byrne, Stringer-Moth (Pickering 59)

Subs: Sunderland, Pickering, Farrand, Hudson, Crellin-Myers


Older Newer