Match Report | Town 0-2 Eccleshall

05 Jan 2019 in Match Reports

Town v Eccleshall (1)

Town v Eccleshall (2)

Town v Eccleshall (3)

Town v Eccleshall (4)

Town v Eccleshall (5)

Wythenshawe Town made a disappointing start to 2019 as they were beaten 2-0 by Eccleshall at Ericstan Park on Saturday afternoon. 

The hosts started the game the better of the two sides, creating plenty of opportunities early on in the game. On three minutes a long throw-in from Ben Steer was met by Adam Farrand who found himself one-on-one with Eccleshall goalkeeper Louis McCarthy, but his low effort was well kept out by the visitor's shot-stopper. Five minutes later Town had another opportunity, this time a Brad Byrne corner was met by defender Nia Bayunu but his header went wide of the upright. 


Bayunu had another opportunity shortly after when another Ben Steer throw-in caused chaos in the Eccleshall penalty area and Liam Crellin-Myers met and headed against the crossbar before the visitors manage to clear but only as far as Bayunu but his effort went wide of the upright. Crellin-Myers was provider again just a couple of minutes later when he picked out Justin Pickering down the left but the Town wingers’ effort was off target and went wide of McCarthy’s post. 


Despite having the majority of the early opportunities, Town fell behind on nineteen minutes when a long ball forward beat the defence and Bradley Carr ran onto it and fired a powerful left-footed effort across goal which beat Ben Purdham and nestled in the far corner. Eccleshall could have doubled their lead just three minutes later when Joshua Graham pounced on a poor clearance from Purdham and he picked out Thomas Wakefield in the penalty area but despite being unmarked he headed over the upright. 


The next chance the visitors had they did take and it was in almost similar fashion to the first, when a long ball was played forward and Joshua Graham controlled it before unleashing a left-footed effort across goal and despite the best efforts of Ben Purdham he couldn’t deny the Eccleshall striker and the visitors took a two-goal advantage in at the break.


Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 0-2 Eccleshall FC


After the break Town came out and again had a couple of early chances. First, Justin Pickering picked out Brad Byrne from a freekick, but Byrne couldn’t guide his header on target before Liam Crellin-Myers picked out Ben Steer and he cut in from the right onto his left foot and unleashed a powerful effort goalward which forced McCarthy into a low diving save. 


Just before the hour mark, the visitors were reduced to ten men when George Burslem was dismissed after a comment, he made to the referees official giving Town a one-man advantage. Town continued to come forward and on 72 minutes a ball from Ben Steer into the Eccleshall penalty area caused confusion and fell to Liam Crellin-Myers, but he could only poke his effort on the ground straight at McCarthy. 


The visitors had a terrific opportunity to add to their lead on 77 minutes when Bradley Carr broke away down the left and played a terrific ball across goal into the path of David Neligwa and all the visitors substitute had to do was make contact and he would have scored, but he missed the ball and let Town off the hook. 


The Eccleshall substitute had another opportunity in stoppage time after Thomas Wakefield was disposed by Chris Middleton the ball fell kindly for Neligwa but his first-time effort went over the upright.


Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 0-2 Eccleshall 


Older Newer