Match Report | Town 3-1 Abbey Hulton

12 Jan 2019 in Match Reports

Liam Crellin-Myers celebrates his goal

Ash Leather returns!

Town celebrate Matthew Landregan's goal

Matthew Landregan converts from the spot

Lee Gregory tussles for possession

Kial Callacher heads clear

Liam Crellin-Myers goes close

Wythenshawe Town returned to winning ways as they ran out 3-1 winners against Abbey Hulton on Saturday afternoon at Ericstan Park. 


Town started on the front foot but didn’t force visitor’s goalkeeper Jakob Holding into a meaningful save until on twelve minutes. Lee Gregory played a corner into the penalty area which Sam Heathcote met and headed goalward but as it looked like Town were going to take the lead, Holding dived down low to his left and managed to deny the Town defender a goal. 


The visitors then had a couple of chances in quick succession. First, Jonathan Birks delivered a freekick into the penalty area towards the back post which Sam Luke met but his header was straight at Ben Purdham. Then just a couple of minutes later Angelo Errico put a ball into the penalty area which was met by Tom Winkle at the far post who was unmarked, but he fired wide of the upright. 


With half-hour on the clock, Town won a penalty after Ashley Leather was bought down by goalkeeper Jakob Holding and Matthew Landregan took responsibility from the spot sending the Abbey Hulton keeper the wrong way to give Town the lead. A couple of minutes later Town stopped a certain goal for the visitors when a Jonathan Birks corner was headed goalward and beat Ben Purdham, but captain Chris Middleton was on the line to deny them an equaliser. 


Town made the visitors pay for the missed chances on 39 minutes when they counter-attacked Abbey Hulton and Ashley Leather played Adam Farrand in down the left who then played a pinpoint ball into the path of Lee Gregory who hit home a right-footed effort from close range to ensure Town went in with a two-goal advantage at the break.


Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 2-0 Abbey Hulton


The start of the second half saw both sides create early opportunities with Angelo Errico going close for the visitors first, as he got in behind in the Town defence but as he cut back onto his right foot his effort was well blocked by Chris Middleton and Ben Purdham claimed the loose ball. Town then went down the other end and a ball over the top of the Abbey Hulton defence saw Liam Crellin-Myers try and chase the ball down, but the oncoming Jakob Holding beat the Town striker to the ball but as he looked to get it under control it appeared to strike his arm but despite the big shouts the referee waved away the appeals. 


Crellin-Myers was in the thick of the action again moments later, after Chris Middleton picked him out the Town attacker beat his marker before unleashing an effort goalward only for Holding to produce an outstanding save diving to his right to keep the lead to just two. Crellin-Myers did get his goal though after the hour mark when Matthew Landregan intercepted Holding’s goal kick before squaring it into the path of Crellin-Myers who fired home from inside the penalty area and ensure all the points were staying in Wythenshawe. 


Town did have a terrific opportunity to add a fourth goal late on when substitute Brad Byrne found himself in behind the Abbey Hulton defence but his effort across goal went wide of Holding’s far post. There was time for the visitors to grab a consolation goal through on ninety minutes when Lee Cropper was picked out and he found himself in the clear behind the Town defence before chipping the oncoming Purdham. 


Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 3-1 Abbey Hulton


Town starting XI: Purdham, Middleton (Brotherton 70), Brownhill, Callacher, Heathcote, Gregory, Leather, Farrand, Landregan, Crellin-Myers (Jenkinson 76), Steer (Byrne 61)


Subs: Bayunu, Jenkinson, Brotherton, Pickering, Byrne


Older Newer