Nomads No Match for Town

24 Nov 2019 in Match Reports

A minute silence

Smalley at the double

Super Sultan

Wilson from the spot

A debut goal from Niall Sultan helped ease Town into the quarter-finals of the Cup.

A brace from Town’s captain fantastic, Dom Smalley, and an injury-time penalty converted by Matthew Wilson, rounded off a comprehensive victory for the boys in blue. Although, Town’s start was anything but comprehendible.


Tuesday night’s drab 1-0 defeat against Vauxhall Motors left a feeling of disappointment looming over Ericstan Park. Free-scoring Town were halted for the first time this season, but the goals came back in abundance tonight; albeit after an untimely reminder 2 minutes into the match.

Jan Palinkas failed to deal with a long goal kick, which allowed Cheadle Heath Nomads’ striker, Richard Tindall, to convert past Callum Jakovlevs.

Perhaps with defeat still on the mind, the thought of a second consecutive loss dawned on the players and awoke the man in the middle, Dom Smalley.

The captain took it upon himself – with the help of Dean Warburton – to turn the situation around for Town.

His first came 20 minutes in when Warburton flighted a perfect ball into Smalley, who controlled before lashing the ball past Aaron Tyrer, to level proceedings.

His second completed the comeback 13 minutes later when a Warburton corner-kick towards the front post was cleverly flicked over the crowed penalty area into the top left corner.

Smalley’s first-half brace restored the swagger that had been missing from the gates of Erictan Park and from then-on, it was smooth sailing from Wythenshawe Town.


After the break, Town remained on the front-foot; Niall Sultan and Matt Wilson hounding the Nomads’ defence. And they both combined to extend Town’s lead. Wilson lofting a pin-point cross into Sultan who leathered home.

Sultan has been brought in to cover for the injured Ashley Leather, but if the debutant continues in this form, manager, James Kinsey, could be in for a few selection headaches.

Callum tried his luck from a free-kick inside Town’s half; spotting his opposite number off his line. But his effort wasn’t on target. “Once I score, I’ll retire”, says Jakovlevs, after winning the NWCFL First Division South Goalkeeper of the Month award. Let’s hope his goal-draught continues.

Wilson deservedly got on the scoresheet in injury time after Liam Myers was fouled in the area. Converting from the spot to earn the Man of the Match award that his performance merited.

Progression in the Cup, a splendid way to bounce back. Much to the delight of James Kinsey



Kinsey’s Post-Match Thoughts:

“We went into the game with ten players missing through injury, suspension or being cup tied. We knew that we needed a good performance on the back of Tuesday night, but with so many changes the side pretty much picked itself. 

“The first ten minutes we were woeful. The goal we conceded was not us at all. Direct from a goal kick for their centre forward to run on to. It wasn’t great. But the lads don’t mind coming from behind as it has shown before. From around the fifteenth minute I think we have dominated the game, especially in the second half.”

 Kinsey on Matt Wilson and Niall Sultan:

“I told the lads to have faith in Matty Wilson. He’s been rusty as he hasn’t played a lot of minutes this season, but I know what he can bring to us. He was superb. He got himself an assist and a goal and his link up play was class. Holding it up, bringing others into the game. He was very good.

“I also think Niall Sultan had a great debut. He’s got an assist and a goal also so a good start for him. But all of them was great again.

“We’ve got a big week coming up now. Tuesday is a huge game for us as we need to start climbing that league table.”

Town travel to Shropshire on Tuesday to face off against St Martins.


Caleb Mazoya


Older Newer