Not Too Shabby, Hey?

09 Feb 2020 in Match Reports

Myers continues fine form

Towering Byrne

Another for Yarwood

Tom Wilson returns from injury

Semi-final bound!

Town ease into the semi-finals of the Cup with an assured display away at Abbey Hey.


Brad Byrne joined the in-form pairing of Liam Myers and Steven Yarwood on the scoresheet, as Wythenshawe Town edged closer to silverware.


Byrne Baby Byrne

Brad almost gave Town the lead 7-minutes earlier, when he latched onto Yarwood’s pass in the penalty area; but his mis-queued shot heralded Abbey Hey’s fate for the match.

The deadlock was broken by Brad after 11 minutes following some tidy footwork by Yarwood in the opposition final third. Yarwood then lofted a cross onto the head of the leaping Byrne, who directed his header beyond the despairing Ryan Livesey.


Myers On Fire!

Liam Myers took his tally for the season to 12 with Town’s second, 5-minutes later. After being perfectly picked out by Jerome Wright, the forward managed to find the bottom right corner from the edge of the area, whilst jostling with the last defender.

That’s Myers’ 6th goal in as many games and he’s showing no sign of letting up.


 Y A R my lord!

Yarwood has quickly cemented himself as a mainstay in the Town starting line-up, netting some crucial goals this season – notably his injury time equaliser against yesterday’s opponents, at the end of last year.

After providing the assist for Brad’s opening goal in the first half, Yarwood added his name to the scoresheet when he collected Myers’ flick-on in space, before calmly caressing the ball past Livesey.

Abbey Hey must be sick of the sight of him.


Welcome Back Wilson

Tom Wilson returned to the Wythenshawe Town starting line-up against a difficult opponent in Abbey Hey, but it he showed no signs of rustiness.

Wilson had been side-lined since November, when he was on the receiving end of a horrific tackle during a league match against West Didsbury & Chorlton. The injury was so serious that the match had to be abandoned as Tom was unable to be moved until the ambulance arrived.

So, it’s very pleasing for everybody associated with Town to see him back in action; and Tom himself is pleased with his performance:

“I thought the game went very well; my fitness feels a lot better, I just need to keep playing to get that sharpness back but as a whole very happy with the game.

“The team played very well and was solid from top to bottom. We scored 3 great goals and, in the end, deserved the win.

“Since I’ve come back from injury, I’ve been getting advice from everyone in the team about my positioning and about decision making which is helping me to grow as a player.”

He almost marked his return with a goal, on the half-hour mark, but his deflected effort went wide of the post.

Callum Jakovlevs was also made to work during the game, blocking a shot from close range. But he was powerless when Abbey Hey forward, Jordan Lazenbury, lobbed him from 18-yards, following a rare defensive error by Town, three-minutes before half-time. Although Yarwood’s goal would restore Town’ two-goal cushion.

All in all, a comfortable performance for Wythenshawe Town.

The blues welcome Sandbach United to Ericstan Park for the semi-final 1st leg on Saturday 14th March.


-        Caleb Mazoya


Older Newer