Poynton 2-2 Wythenshawe Town

08 Aug 2017 in Match Reports

Poynton 2-2 Wythenshawe Town Poynton 2-2 Wythenshawe Town

It was heartbreak for 10 man Wythenshawe Town, as they conceded in the 89th minute to draw their first game of the 2017/2018 campaign at Poynton.

The visitors had the best chance of the opening endeavours, when Joe Yarwood latched onto the end of a long ball forward but he saw his effort from just inside the penalty area go over the top of the crossbar. Following the opening chance of the game, Wythenshawe were put under a period of pressure by the hosts, and Poynton midfielder Steve Kirby had a glorious opportunity to get the game’s opening goal, after playing a short corner to Joe Knight he received the ball back but his effort from just inside the penalty area could only find the side netting of Kelsey Robinsons goal.

On 18 minutes Poynton goalkeeper Sam Davidson produced a terrific save to deny striker Niall Rhodes, after been played in by Joe Yarwood, Rhodes turned his man and fired a shot at goal only for Davidson to claw it out and gather at the second attempt. Just 6 minutes later and Wythenshawe goalkeeper Kelsey Robinson was called upon and produced a fine save, after Joe Knight found himself in the clear he saw his shot from close range well saved by the visitors shot stopper.

Just a minute later though and Robinson was beaten. After last season league’s top goal scorer Rick Tindall picked the ball up on the edge of the box he saw his effort well kept out by Robinson but the keeper could only push the ball back into the danger and Rick Symmonds was on hand to round him and hit the ball into an empty net.

After conceding, Wythenshawe threw everything at Poynton and on 34 minutes were awarded a penalty, when Niall Rhodes was bought down from behind by Ash Crank just inside the area, and winger Kayle Power stepped up and sent Sam Davidson the wrong way to draw the visitors level.

Halftime: Poynton 1-1 Wythenshawe Town

In the opening minute after the break, Wythenshawe’s Ash Leather had a terrific chance to give his side the lead, after beating two men he found himself just outside the penalty area, but his goal bound effort was well blocked by the defence. Wythenshawe kept up their early second half pressure and on 54 minutes Joe Yarwood found himself unmarked in the Poynton penalty area following a free kick from Kayle Power but his goal bound header was well kept out by Davidson in the Poynton goal.

On 69 minutes Wythenshawe went down to 10 men as Joe Yarwood, who took over the captain’s armband in the first half from the injured Rico Stewart, was given a red card for a late challenge. Following the dismissal, the visitors continued to press forward and substitute Leon Grandison went within inches of giving Wythenshawe the lead, after his effort from range went inches wide of the upright.

Just four minutes after his long-range effort, Grandison did give Wythenshawe the lead as he ran onto the end of a long ball and lobbed oncoming Poynton goalkeeper Sam Davidson.

Wythenshawe probably thought that they had wrapped up all three points after Grandison’s late goal, but they were to be denied by Poynton’s Andy Simpson in the 89th minute, who picked the ball up on the edge of the area and fired into Kelsey Robinsons far corner.

Fulltime: Poynton 2-2 Wythenshawe Town

Wythenshawe Town’s next fixture is at HOME to Malpas FC on Saturday 12th August 2017 with kick off at 3pm.


Older Newer