Stockport Georgians - Wythenshawe Report

03 Jul 2022 in News

Stockport Georgians - Wythenshawe Report Stockport Georgians - Wythenshawe Report

Saturday 2nd July

Stockport Georgians 1-5 Wythenshawe Town report

Wythenshawe defeat Stockport Georgians with ease in the perfect start to pre-season

Wythenshawe travelled to a neutral ground in Cheadle on Saturday afternoon for their first pre-season fixture this summer. Some loyal members of our fan base joined us to get a first glimpse at new signings and to see how strong Town is looking prior to the beginning of the season.  

On his return to the club, Aaron Dwyer had an immediate impact within the opening 2 minutes of the game. A well-placed cross that was played in from the left by Matty Bryan was met by Dwyer on the edge of the 6-yard box who was able to steer the ball home with his head to give Wythenshawe the lead early on.

This was followed by some end-to-end action with both sides having their chances Stockport got as close as the woodwork to getting their goal but ultimately Wythenshawe came out on top. In the 9th minute, a cheeky back heel from Steven Hewitt lead to Dwyer burying his shot from close range to double both his and Wythenshawe’s goal tally on the day.

Over the next ten minutes, Stockport showed signs of scoring with their number 11 having opportunities on goal. However, Town dominated and was able to extend their lead further due to a well-struck half volley from Conor Brotherton.

Once more dominance continued and the pressure on Stockport increased, the Georgian’s keeper made a few good saves, but Matty Bryan was able to beat him. After a stop at the other end from new signing Joel Fletcher, Town was on the counter. Bryan weaved between the Stockport defence and around the keeper to make it 4-0 on the 35-minute mark with class.

The Georgians came into their own in the last 10 minutes of the first half. On the stroke of half time, Dwyer made a poor back pass that forced Fletcher to head the ball out for a throw-in, Town managed to regain possession, however they lost it once more and the Stockport striker was able to score from distance, which meant the score line sat at 4-1 at the midway point.   

James Kinsey, decided to bring on all four substitutes at the start of the second half which give the new boys their first run out in Wythenshawe blue. There were opportunities for both sides when the match resumed most notably, a header from Jordan Burton was saved spectacularly by the Stockport keeper and put out for a corner.

Matty Bryan managed to find the head of Jordan Burton at the back post once again but this time he was successful and last seasons Managers Player of the Year scored for Town in the 65th.

Both teams were visibly tired nearing the final whistle but that didn’t stop them from attacking each other. The game became more open, and Wythenshawe began to be less dominant, Stockport was able to absorb the pressure with better effect in the last 20 minutes. Both sides had their chances but neither team managed to hit the back of the net with Hewitt, Coop, and Burton all having shots on target.

James Kinsey’s side outclassed their opponents and dominated throughout, a perfect start to pre-season for Town. We’re looking forward to seeing you again on Tuesday evening and hope for this form to continue into the next fixture.  


Older Newer