Town claim victory on the road

19 Jul 2018 in News

Team celebration v Springhead aFC

Kyle McGovern v Springhead AFC

Rick Walker v Springhead AFC

Sam Jones shot v Springhead AFC

Wythenshawe Town continued their fine start to pre-season as they ran out winners against Springhead AFC at Wright Robinson College on Tuesday evening. 

Both sides started the game at a good tempo but neither threatened the opposition's goal until the eighth minute when a corner was only punched as far as Kyle McGovern from the Springhead goalkeeper but the Wythenshawe defender saw his effort go just over the top of the upright. Just a minute later and another corner caused problems for the hosts as this time striker Sam Jones met it at the front post but he headed just wide of the upright.

Jones had another opportunity on 15 minutes this time after good build-up play, the Wythenshawe striker spun his marker and rifled a left-foot shot from range goalwards only for the Springhead goalkeeper to get his fingertips to it and push it out for a corner. Just five minutes later and it was third time lucky for Jones as a terrific ball from the right by Mike Taylor was met by the striker and he headed home from close range to give Town the lead.

Town continued on the front foot after getting the opening goal but were pegged back just after the half-hour mark when a long ball forward beat the defence and despite claims for offside Matty Barlow latched onto the end of it and poked beyond the oncoming Dale Latham in the Wythenshawe goal. 

On the stroke of halftime, Wythenshawe regained the lead, after winger Jay Matthews received the ball wide on the left he cut inside onto his right foot and exquisitely curled an effort into the top corner.

Halftime: Springhead AFC 1-2 Wythenshawe Town

After the break, both sides made a host of changes and just after the hour mark Wythenshawe substitute Ash Leather had a glorious chance to extend his sides lead. After a ball split the Springhead defence Leather found himself in the clear but his effort from inside the penalty area was well kept out by the goalkeeper. 

Just two minutes later and Springhead should have drawn level as number 16 plays a ball in from the right to the unmarked number 15 but his effort went high and wide from inside the penalty area!

Wythenshawe had the better of the chances thereafter with Leather, Matthews and substitute Grant Spencer all going close and on 83 minutes their hard work was rewarded when another substitute Liam Myers was picked out by Ash Leather and he headed home from close range and ensure that Town remained unbeaten in pre-season. 

Despite having a two-goal advantage the visitors went in search of further goals and just before the final whistle Kyle McGovern picked out Dylan Stringer-Moth and after beating his marker he curled a terrific effort goalwards which had the goalkeeper beaten but cannoned back off the crossbar. 

Fulltime: Springhead AFC 1-3 Wythenshawe Town


Older Newer