Town come from behind to win!

20 Nov 2018 in Match Reports

Town goal celebration

Conor Brotherton heads home for Town

Conor Brotherton goal for Town

Matthew Landregan scores from the spot!

A game of two halves saw Wythenshawe Town come from behind to beat Barnton FC on Tuesday night at Ericstan Park.

Both sides had early half chances with Brad Byrne firing wide of Aaron Lyons goal within the opening couple of minutes before Barnton won a corner which was played to the far post but Christopher Yearsley’s headed effort was over the crossbar.

Three minutes later though the visitors did take the lead when they broke out down the left with Ryan Malone and he played a ball across the Wythenshawe goal and Jordan Cobley was on hand to tap it in from close range. 

After the goal both sides were limited to half chances, that was until on 22 minutes Conor Brotherton effort was blocked by the arm of a Barnton defender, giving the referee no other option than to point to the penalty spot. Matthew Landregan took responsibility and he sent Aaron Lyons the wrong way to pull Town level from 12 yards.

The hosts were only level for six minutes though as a Samuel Houghton free-kick from the left was met by Owen Dursley who rose highest and headed beyond Aldred in the Town goal. 

After going back ahead, Barnton looked to get on the front foot with Malone looking a threat, and the visitors broke out with the winger down the left and he played a low ball into the penalty area towards Jordan Cobley but Sam Parr slid in and deflected behind to avoid the visitors striker a shot at goal.

Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 1-2 Barnton FC

Town changed formation and made a halftime substitution with Ste Yarwood coming on in place of Dylan Stringer-Moth and the replacement was straight into the action. A long throw-in from Ben Steer caused confusion in the Barnton area, and the visitor's defence could only clear as far as Yarwood but his goalbound effort was well blocked. 

Wythenshawe looked a different side and continued on the front foot and on 55 minutes they drew level. After Ben Steer was picked out in the penalty area he cut back onto his left foot and put a ball into the danger area, which Conor Brotherton ran onto and headed home! 

Just five minutes later the visitors should once again have retaken the lead when Jordan Cobley picked out the unmarked Luke Wilson-Jones but he put his header over the crossbar from six yards out to let Town off the hook. 

Just after the hour mark Town had the ball in the back of the net again, only for the goal to be chalked off. Ste Yarwood broke out and played the ball wide to Deven Golden who played a terrific first time ball across goal and despite Lyons getting a hand to the effort he couldn’t hold and put it into the path of Brad Byrne who hit home from close range only for the flag to be up on the far side for offside against the Town attacker! 

Town didn’t stop there though as they went in search of the winner and on 68 minutes they took the lead. A terrific team move saw substitute Liam Crellin-Myers flick the ball behind the Barnton defence and Conor Brotherton ran onto the loose ball and prodded beyond Lyons for his second and Town’s third of the evening. 

The last few minutes of the game saw both goalkeepers pull off glorious saves. First, Jake Aldred managed to deny Ryan Wan at his near post after the substitute beat his marker before firing a shot goalwards from inside the penalty area which Aldred managed to parry away and then Aaron Lyons denied Brotherton his hattrick after the Town midfielder went on a solo run before firing a terrific effort goalwards only for Lyons to deny him at full stretch. 

Full time: Wythenshawe Town 3-2 Barnton FC


Older Newer