Town come from behind twice to draw!

08 Dec 2018 in News

Liam Crellin-Myers draws Town level

Town celebrate Chris Middleton's goal

Derell George makes his first-team debut

Ste Yarwood has a chance for Town

Wythenshawe Town twice came from behind to collect a point against Cheadle Heath Nomads at Ericstan Park on Saturday afternoon. 

Pre-match conditions didn’t help the flow of the game, and it wasn’t until the 11thminute that the first chance was created. Wythenshawe won a corner which Ste Yarwood drilled in low and the Cheadle defence could only clear as far as Chris Middleton, but he struck his effort into the side netting of Aaron Tyrer's goal. 


Just three minutes later the visitors took the lead when ex-town player Leon Grandison intercepted Jake Aldred’s goal kick, he found himself one-on-one with the Town keeper before passing into the path of Richard Tindall who hit home into an empty net. 


After the goal Town were on the front foot but didn’t manage to force Aaron Tyrer into a meaningful save until the half-hour mark, when Brad Byrne intercepted a Cheadle clearance he ran into the penalty area before hitting a left-footed effort goalward but it was straight at Tyrer.  The visitors did have the ball in the back of the net again on 37 minutes after Grandison intercepted a Wythenshawe clearance and he played a ball around the back of the Town defence before Tindall hit home, only for the linesman to flag the Cheadle striker offside. 


Just a short time before half-time Town had a terrific opportunity to draw level when the Cheadle defence failed to deal with a Ben Steer cross, they could only clear as far as Ste Yarwood but his effort from just inside the penalty area went over the upright. Just a couple of minutes later though Yarwood turned provider as picked the ball up on the edge of the penalty area and played it wide to captain Chris Middleton who struck a terrific effort across goal which nestled into the top corner to make sure Town went in level at the break. 


Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 1-1 Cheadle Heath Nomads


The visitors came out on the front foot and had a couple of early chances. First, Leon Grandison saw a goal-bound effort from inside the penalty area deflected by his own player and out for a goal kick and then Grandison picked out Tindall who tried to chip Jake Aldred but the Town keeper claimed with ease. 


The game then became a battle to claim and hold onto possession, with neither goalkeeper having to make a save of significance until on 68 minutes when Cheadle substitute Ashley Harrison played a ball over the top of the Town defence and Kieran Herbert ran onto before unleashing an effort which Jake Aldred could only parry and the ball fell into the path of Grandison who prodded home from close range.  


A few minutes later the visitors could have added to their lead when a Jack Warren freekick was met by Ashley Crank but the Cheadle defender’s header across goal went just inches wide of the upright. 


Town manager James Kinsey went in search of the equaliser and made all three substitutes, and it was Adam Farrand who provided the assist for the Town equaliser. After a ball beat the Cheadle defence, Farrand ran onto it before crossing for Liam Crellin-Myers and he met the ball and managed to hit home to ensure Town took a point from the game and extended their unbeaten run to 4 games. 


Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 2-2 Cheadle Heath Nomads


Older Newer