Town crash out of the Macron Cup

12 Nov 2018 in Match Reports

Town crash out of the Macron Cup Town crash out of the Macron Cup

Wythenshawe Town crashed out the Macron Cup at the hands of Avro FC after they lost 7-0 at the Vestacare Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Town visiting Avro for the second time in cup competitions this season were very much in the game throughout the open exchanges, with Brad Byrne having the best chance. After Avro goalkeeper Jordan Latham cleared the ball straight into the path of Byrne, the Town attacker struck a powerful effort, only to see it go over the crossbar.


From there on in though the hosts took control and on 13 minutes they could have taken the lead when they were awarded a penalty. Striker Regan Jarrett stepped up but debutant goalkeeper Mason Mostyn guessed right and kept the spot kick out keeping the tie level. 


Jarret was in the thick of the action again just before the half-hour mark when a long ball forward from Kane Wallwork reached the Avro striker but his effort from inside the area went just over the upright. Just a minute later though Avro did take the lead after a shot was deflected on the edge of the area it fell into the path of Wallwork who ran onto and struck across Mostyn into his far corner.


The hosts doubled their lead just a few minutes later after a terrific move saw a ball played into the feet of Jake Pollard who swivelled his marker in the penalty area and fired beyond Mostyn to ensure Avro went into the break with a two-goal advantage.


Halftime: Avro 2-0 Wythenshawe Town


After the break, it was all Avro and within five minutes of the break, they had their third of the afternoon when they won a free kick on the edge of the penalty area and Kane Wallwork fires his free-kick beyond Mostyn. 


Just after the hour mark, the hosts grabbed their fourth of the afternoon when a long ball forward beat the Town offside trap and found Joe Bevan before the Avro attacker rounded Mostyn and fired into an empty net! 


The hosts didn’t stop there as they added the fifth and sixth of the afternoon in quick succession. First, Joseph Rathbone met a terrific ball into the penalty area from the left to head beyond Mostyn and then just a couple of minutes later, substitute Duncan Knott picked up the ball and terrifically struck an effort into the corner of the net from 25 yards out! 


Town were then dealt with another blow as goalkeeper Mostyn was forced off injured and after using all three substitutes meant that Ste Yarwood had to take over the gloves. Yarwood managed to keep anything out until stoppage time when Knott added a second after been picked out by Daniel Grimshaw from the left and he fired behind Yarwood.


Full time: Avro 7-0 Wythenshawe Town


Older Newer