Town cruise to a comprehensive victory

26 Jul 2018 in News

Jay Matthews & Sam Fitzgerald v Stockport County XI

Town celebrate v Stockport County XI

Mike Taylor v Stockport County XI

Brad Byrne v Stockport County XI

Kyle McGovern v Stockport County XI

Wythenshawe Town ran out comprehensive winners against a Stockport County XI in their penultimate pre-season fixture on Wednesday evening at Ericstan Park. 

The hosts got off to the best possible start as they took the lead with just two minutes on the clock when a ball from the left was met by Trialist and he played the ball into the feet of Mike Taylor who calmly slotted home from close range.


Wythenshawe kept the early pressure on and had a couple of opportunities to double their lead in quick succession. First, after a free kick from Ash Leather deflected off the wall it fell into the path of Brad Byrne but his close-range effort was well kept out by the Stockport goalkeeper, and then centre-half Kyle McGovern saw his strike from range saved by the goalkeeper as he managed to just tip it around the post.


It was all Wythenshawe and on 24 minutes they doubled their lead when winger Jay Matthews intercepted a loose pass on halfway before running into the penalty area and firing home beyond the helpless Stockport goalkeeper. Just three minutes later and Town bagged their third goal of the first half, after a long ball forward from Mike Taylor was picked up by Ash Leather and the winger charged into the area and chipped it over the goalkeeper to ensure that hosts had a commanding lead.


Despite all the pressure coming from Wythenshawe, Stockport had a glorious opportunity to claw a goal back after the number 11 beat fullback Jonny Pozziere he squared the ball across goal but Kyle McGovern managed to prevent a tap-in and clear away the danger. Just a few minutes later and Ben Daniels was called into action, after Stockport managed to get In behind the Town defence the ball was with the number 8 but his powerful effort was well kept out by Daniels who managed to push the ball out for a corner, ensuring that Wythenshawe went into the break with a comprehensive lead.


Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 3-0 Stockport County XI


The second half started an even affair and it wasn’t until the hour mark that the half’s first real chance was created and it resulted in Wythenshawe extending their lead.


After Town won a corner Brad Byrne whipped it in and the Stockport keeper pushed the ball against Liam Myers and it rebounded off the striker and into the back of the net.


Beyond the fourth goal of the game, it was all Town again, and they had a couple more opportunities to increase their lead. First, Substitute Dylan Stringer-Moth picked the ball up wide left and his cross was met by Mike Taylor on the edge of the area but his effort went over the upright, before Stringer-Moth again was the provider but this time he picked out goalscorer Liam Myers but his acrobatic overhead kick was well saved by the Stockport keeper from close range.


Full time: Wythenshawe Town 4-0 Stockport County XI 


Older Newer