Town draw for the first time this season!

17 Nov 2018 in Match Reports

Town draw for the first time this season! Town draw for the first time this season!

Wythenshawe Town responded to Tuesday nights defeat with a highly competitive draw away to St Martins, which was Town’s first draw of the league campaign so far. The visitors started the game on the front foot and captain Chris Middleton gave them the lead inside the opening minute. Brad Byrne delivered a corner from the right and St Martin’s goalkeeper George Austin punched into the path of Middleton who powerfully headed beyond the shot-stopper to give Town the perfect start. 

After the goal, St Martin’s gained control of the possession but couldn’t force Wythenshawe goalkeeper Jake Aldred into a meaningful save. That was until on 13 minutes, after a terrific move from the hosts the ball got played to fullback Calum Bennett and fired beyond Aldred from the edge of the penalty area to draw ‘The Saints’ level.


Beyond the second goal of the game it was an end-to-end affair, but the hosts central midfielder Tawanda Melusi had the games next best chance, after Town failed to clear their lines the ball fell to Melusi on the edge of the penalty area but his effort lacked power and Aldred was able to make a routine save. 


Town did have the ball in the back of the net again through Chris Middleton just after the half-hour mark but he was ruled to be offside. After a free kick was delivered from Paul Sunderland the host's defence only managed to clear as far as Lee Gregory and he picked out Middleton at the far post who struck beyond Austin in the St Martin’s goal but the flag was up to rule his effort out. 


On the stroke of halftime, St Martin’s had a terrific opportunity to take the lead when they broke out and Karl Bailey won the ball from Jake Aldred before firing a shot goalwards only for Deven Golden to get back and clear the ball away!


Halftime: St Martins 1-1 Wythenshawe Town


The second half started a very even contest, again with neither side able to trouble the opposition's goalkeeper. That was until the 55thminute when Town winger Sam Marshall found himself through on goal but his low driven effort was well kept out by George Austin. Straight after this St Martin’s went down the other end and a ball came in from the right and Brendon Price met but he couldn’t fully connect with it and failed to put his effort on target.



Two minutes later there were again chances at either end of the pitch. First, Brad Byrne was picked out by Paul Sunderland but Byrne’s effort was again kept out by Austin before the hosts broke out and Price played in Melusi but his close-range effort was well stopped by Aldred.


Both sides created half chances beyond this, but in injury time Town substitute Liam Crellin-Myers had an opportunity to wrap up all three points when he was picked out after a Ben Steer throw-in caused problems in the St Martin’s defence, but after turning in the area he fired just inches wide of the upright meaning that both sides shared the points.


Fulltime: St Martins 1-1 Wythenshawe Town


Older Newer