Town earn impressive replay

01 Dec 2019 in Match Reports

Town 1-1 Consett

Wythenshawe Town swept aside the bookies’ opinions to earn a fully merited replay with Consett after a pulsating 1-1 draw at Ericstan Park.

At 50/1 to lift the trophy, Town went into the game as firm underdogs but when has that ever been a hinderance before?


Already have they had to overcome odds heavily stacked against them – three times defeating opposition from higher divisions on this incredible run.


Brad Byrne showed the composure we’ve grown so accustomed to as he slotted away a 71st minute penalty after Jack Timmons was brought down by Consett keeper Kyle Hayes.


However, the ecstasy was short lived as Dale Pearson looped home a scruffy header out of reach of the despairing Callum Jakovlevs.


The two sides couldn’t be separated throughout the remainder of the match and extra time, meaning that a 310-mile round trip is now in the offing for Town.




If Consett were tipped to be strong favourites to lift the Vase, Wythenshawe Town did an exemplary job at undermining the book-makers’ odds.


The Blues were swiftly out of the blocks, with Connor Brotherton setting the tone inside the first minute as his attempt on goal was smartly parried by Hayes.


Town continued to look menacing as Liam Myers was slipped through only to see his effort fade narrowly wide, much to the anguish of the spectators.


Wythy limited the visitors to scraps, defending stoutly throughout the first period – stifling any sort of fluency Consett had to offer.


The second half resumed with much the same narrative as the home side piled on yet more pressure and taunted the Consett backline.


Town should have made the breakthrough when a slick move saw Myers’ threading a ball through to Jerome Wright, who’s effort was smothered by Hayes before Dom Smalley’s follow up from the edge of the area was sent a whisker wide of the post.


Despite the danger Town had been posing, Jakovlevs was awoken from his slumber to make two crucial, world-class saves to keep the clean sheet intact.


Moments later, a piece of lax defending afforded Ali Ashabeeb the freedom of the Town half but when one-on-one, he failed to keep his composure and slotted marginally wide. A huge let off.


Just seven minutes later, the referee awarded Town a penalty after Jack Timmons was brought down in the area by Hayes and Byrne gratefully obliged from the spot.


Alas the celebrations were quickly subdued when Pearson leapt above all challengers to plant a looping header into the bottom right corner.


As extra time was beckoned, Town had a golden opportunity to settle affairs on the night as the ball fell kindly to Byrne in the six-yard area but his low drilled effort was scrambled off the line.


The referee blew his whistle for the final time with both sides visibly ‘out on their feet’.


A game that Town weren’t expected to dominate but took proceedings by the scruff of the neck and showed the fire that has made them such a fascination throughout this competition.


All roads lead to Wembley but for the time being, they lead to Newcastle.


-Harry Shephard


Older Newer