Town edged out in the Derby

27 Dec 2018 in Match Reports


Here come the teams

Pre-Match handshakes

Brad Byrne v WAFC

Connor Brotherton v WAFC

Liam Crellin-Myers v WAFC

Town on the attack v WAFC

Justin Pickering v WAFC

Midfield battle v WAFC

Paul Sunderland v WAFC

Wythenshawe Town suffered a narrow defeat at the hands of local rivals Wythenshawe Amateurs at Hollyhedge Park on Boxing Day. 


An intense affair which was watched by 583 spectators, began at a high tempo but with neither side able to test the opposition's goalkeeper in the opening exchanges. That was until the twelfth minute when Daniel Egan was picked out 30 yards from goal before turning and hitting a powerful effort on target only for Ben Purdham in the Town goal to tip over the top of the crossbar.


The hosts took the lead moments later when a corner caused confusion in the Town penalty area, before eventually falling to Joel Aikenhead who headed goalwards only for Sam Heathcote to deny the Ammies man on the goal line, but after consulting with his linesman the referee said the ball had crossed the line and the hosts had the lead. 


Amateurs continued their early pressure, with tricky winger Jordan Burton going close. After picking up the ball, midfielder Rory Fallon drove forward before playing in Burton who was unmarked but his effort across goal went inches wide of the upright. Just before the half-hour mark Town calved out their best opportunity of the half as Connor Brotherton picked out Liam Crellin-Myers and beat his marker before shooting towards the far post but his effort went wide of Martin Blain’s goal.


Town thought they were going to be given a spot-kick on 37 minutes when a freekick was played towards Paul Sunderland, and as the Town attacker looked to meet with a header he appeared to be pulled down and it looked like the referee was about to give a penalty putting the whistle to his mouth, he instead changed his mind and played on. 


Halftime: Wythenshawe Amateurs 1-0 Wythenshawe Town


After the break Town were on top of the early exchanges, with Justin Pickering going close. After Ben Steer’s cross was headed clear from the Amateurs defence it fell as far as the Town winger, but his right-footed effort was straight at Blain. The Amateur's keeper was then called into action again a few minutes later when Town substitute Spencer Jenkinson found himself away down the left but his effort from inside the penalty area was blocked before Blain came to scramble the loose ball. 


Just after the hour mark, Adam Farrand found himself in the clear after he was picked out by Liam Crellin-Myers, but his low driven effort from just inside the penalty area was well kept out by Wythenshawe shot-stopper, Blain. Town kept the pressure on winning a freekick just outside the penalty area on seventy minutes, but centre-half Sam Heathcote saw his powerful effort fizz just inches past the post.


Amateurs did have an opportunity to double their advantage when Denman was picked out from a corner, but he headed straight into the arms of Ben Purdham. Town did have a glorious opportunity to salvage a point in the 89thminute when a long throw-in from Ben Steer found its way to Chris Middleton at the far post but the Town defender could only guide his header over the top of the upright. 


Fulltime: Wythenshawe Amateurs 1-0 Wythenshawe Town


Town Starting XI: Purdham, Middleton, Brownhill, Sunderland (Steer 46), Heathcote, Farrand, Brotherton, Gregory, Crellin-Myers (Stringer-Moth 79), Byrne, Pickering (Jenkinson 53)


Town subs: Bayunu, Steer, Stringer-Moth, Jenkinson, Landregan


*Town are next in action when we host New Mills on Saturday 29th December 2018. Kick-off 3pm*


Older Newer