Town end pre-season with a defeat

27 Sep 2020 in Match Reports

Wythenshawe 2-4 Chadderton

Chadderton inflicted just Town’s second defeat of pre-season in a six-goal thriller at Ericstan Park.

The visitors raced into an early lead when Brad Sullivan slotted beneath Callum Jakovlevs, just shy of the ten minute mark.

Carl Taylor’s men were then reduced to ten when an ill-time challenge left Justin Pickering in a painful heap and the referee no choice but to brandish his marching orders.

Despite finding themselves a man light, two quick-fire second half goals afforded the visitors breathing space and an assured lead on the stroke of the hour.

Town weren’t to be deterred as they pulled two goals back but a late Aaron Scholes penalty condemned the Blues to their fate.

Back Town to Earth

Following Wednesday’s sensational display against Oldham Athletic, yesterday was a reminder of the realities of non-league football.

Town have enjoyed a fruitful, elongated pre-season, scoring goals for fun but this fixture may be the alarm call that is needed before the new campaign gets underway.

A long, hopeful punt forward found its way to the feet of Brad Sullivan who managed to compose himself to finish a low, right footed effort beneath the sprawling Callum Jakovlevs.

Town found themselves with a man advantage 30 minutes in when a reckless, lunging challenge left Pickering writhing and the player in question heading for an early shower.

The Blues were close to making the opposition pay for their lack of bodies when Jan Palinkas rose above everyone from an out-swinging corning, only to crash his header onto the crossbar.

Following the break, Chadderton continued in the same fashion- swiftly adding a second through Harry Dean before Dion Battes curled in a 25-yard stunner from the left-hand side to give the visitors a surely unassailable lead.

Despite the deficit, Town continued to make inroads through the Chadderton defence with Steven Yarwood and Jerome Wright foraying down the left flank to carve out opportunities but to no avail.

Town eventually got themselves onto the scoresheet with 17 minutes to play as Matty Bryan peeled off at the back post to power home a sweetly timed header and chalk up his 11th goal of a productive pre-season.

Recently named as one of James Kinsey’s new backroom staff, Grant Spencer pulled hit kit on and laced up his boots to make an appearance in the dying embers of the game.

Spencer wasted no time in justifying his selection when he whipped a glorious free kick into the top right corner in Rooney-esque style.

However, as Town were knocking on the door of an equalising goal, a moment of ill-discipline saw the referee make his second dismissal of the game as Callum Jakovlevs came to blows with goal scorer Harry Dean.

The resulting penalty was dispatched expertly by Aaron Scholes as scorer turned goalkeeper, Grant Spencer couldn’t stretch sufficiently to prevent a fourth.

The whistle blew on an overall disappointing day for Town, so Kinsey needs to rally his men and get ready for when it really counts.

Final score: Wythenshawe Town 2-4 Chadderton FC


-Harry Shephard


Older Newer