Town run riot on the road

12 Aug 2018 in Match Reports

Both teams line-up ahead of kick-off

Chris Middleton goes close

Lee Gregory beats his marker

Sam Fitzgerald in possession

Grant Spencer goes close!

Wythenshawe Town continued their impressive start to life as a semi-professional football club with a comprehensive victory on the road against FC Oswestry Town. 

Town began the game on the front foot and had an early chance when Grant Spencer found Ben Steer, and the winger cut inside his marker but his effort from just inside the penalty area went just over the crossbar. 


On 9 minutes Town did have their opening goal of the game and Spencer was the provider again, this time after defender Kyle McGovern beat two Oswestry players he gave the ball to Spencer wide left and he delivered an audacious cross into the area which rebounded off the leg of Oswestry defender Connor Courtney and bounced against Owen Lloyd and beyond Louis Mackin in the Oswestry goal. 


The hosts best chance of the opening exchanges came on 14 minutes when George Taylor whipped a ball into the penalty area from the right and even the Town defence managed to head clear the ball fell to Adam Hailes but his 25-yard effort went wide of the upright.


On the half-hour mark Wythenshawe had an opportunity to add to their lead after Jay Matthews beat his marker his cross across goal was cleared by the Oswestry defence but only as far as Grant Spencer on the edge of the area and the Town midfielder let fly with a terrific strike that went just wide of the upright.


Just two minutes later though the hosts could have drawn level, after a through ball beat the Wythenshawe offside trap George Taylor ran onto it and just as he was about to shoot Bruno Da Silva came rushing out of his goal and managed to claw it away right at the feet of the Oswestry man. 


Town managed to create a couple of half chances just before the break, first after a Grant Spencer free kick deflected off the wall the ball fell to Liam Crellin-Myers but he fired wide of the upright. Then right on the stroke of halftime both Crellin-Myers and Spencer combined again this time Spencer saw his effort go just wide of Mackin’s post from inside the penalty area.


Halftime: FC Oswestry Town 0-1 Wythenshawe Town


After the interval Town continued to keep the pressure on their opposition and on 52 minutes they managed to double their lead. A long ball forward from Niall Rhodes was met by captain Sam Fitzgerald and he slammed home beyond Louis Mackin from inside the penalty area to give Town a two-goal cushion. 


On the hour mark midfielder Lee Gregory had an opportunity when he won possession just inside the Oswestry half and drove towards goal but his effort from range was kept out by Mackin. On 68 minutes though Town wrapped up the points when Ben Steers corner was flicked on at the near post and centre-half Chris Middleton was on hand at the back post to fire home from close range. 


Town didn’t stop there though and went in search of more goals, and on 70 minutes after a good move Liam Crellin-Myers received the ball just outside the penalty area but his curling effort went inches over the crossbar, before he was substituted and replaced by Sam Jones who himself had an opportunity just moments after coming on. After Oswestry failed to clear their lines from a set-piece the ball fell to Jones and again he saw his effort go agonisingly wide.


With just five minutes left on the clock though Town did get a fourth and it was the man of the match Niall Rhodes who got himself on the scoresheet. A terrific cross-field ball from Ben Steer was headed down by Dylan Stringer-Moth into the path of Rhodes and from 25 yards out he lobbed Louis Mackin to round off a terrific performance on the road.


Fulltime: FC Oswestry Town 0-4 Wythenshawe Town


Older Newer