Town secure a historic victory

05 Aug 2018 in News

Liam Myers scores our first ever Semi-Professional goal

Liam Myers & Dylan Stringer-Moth celebrate our goal

Grant Spencer lines-up to take a free kick

Wythenshawe Town’s historic first semi-professional game ended in victory as they beat Alsager Town 1-0 at Ericstan Park on Saturday afternoon.

Town were the better of the two sides in the opening half, and on twelve minutes new signing Ben Steer had an opportunity to open the scoring when he received the ball wide right and as he looked to pick out a Town attacker in the penalty area his cross went goalwards and had Alsager goalkeeper Rhys Bills backpedalling and the shot-stopper had to tip the ball over his crossbar to deny the Wythenshawe winger.


The hosts were relentless and kept the pressure on and had a couple of half chances midway through the first half. First, a corner from Grant Spencer was met by Jonny Poizer at the back post but he headed just wide of the upright and then just moments later a long ball forward was run onto well by Sam Jones and his effort beat the oncoming Rhys Bills but went over the crossbar. 


Just after the half-hour mark a long throw-in from Ben Steer into the penalty area was met by Kyle McGovern but the Town defender could only guide his header into the hands of Bills in the Alsager goal. 


Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 0-0 Alsager Town


A halftime substitution saw Dylan Stringer-Moth replace Jay Matthews and the winger was in the thick of the action early on in the second half. After Bruno Da Silva’s long kick was met by Sam Jones, he managed to push the ball into the path of Stringer-Moth but his powerful cross was cleared away by the Alsager Town defenders before any of the Wythenshawe attackers could get on the end of it.


Just beyond the hour mark, a cross from the right by Kyle McGovern was headed clear from the Alsager defence but only as far as Jonny Poizer but the Town fullback saw his rasping effort go just wide of the upright. Poizer was at the heart of another opportunity for the hosts, as they won a free kick just to the right of the penalty area and he unleashed a left-footed effort which forced Rhys Bills to parry away.


Heading into the final ten minutes and it remained goalless, but on 83 minutes that all changed when man of the match Sam Fitzgerald was picked out on the left and he played a glorious ball into the path of Liam Myers and as he beat his marker, he unleashed a powerful effort into the bottom left corner giving Rhys Bills no chance and scoring the clubs first goal as a North-West Counties team. 


After going behind, Alsager came out on the attack and went in search of the equaliser but the Wythenshawe back four stood strong and cleared their lines when called upon and ensured that Wythenshawe Town were the first team to win a semi-professional football match in the area.


Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 1-0 Alsager Town


Manager James Kinsey’s post-match comments:The lads really dug in to get the win. Boiling hot, 100mph with both teams wanting to impress, hard pitch, but I thought that we controlled the game and should have been ahead at halftime. Ben Steer showed why we were so keen to sign him and I thought he was superb in the first half! 

I'm most happy about the clean sheet. The back four was very, very organised. Bruno didn't have a save to make all game and that was down to us working hard defensively as a unit to make sure we weren’t easy to break down. 

We've only been together for 5 weeks now as a brand-new squad and the way we are playing already shows exciting times for the rest of the season! 

We play Oswestry away next who had a great result against Sandbach. It will be difficult, but we have to maintain that momentum to keep building.”


Older Newer