Town stumble against Sandbach on Day one

04 Aug 2019 in Match Reports

Warburton steps up

Warburton equalises

Warburton wrestles the ball back

Jamal Branker looking focussed

Liam Brownhill sends it long

Ryan Allcock’s last gasp goal was enough to make Town stumble over their first hurdle of the season in an enthralling curtain raiser against Sandbach United.

Shades of last season’s reverse fixture as the visitor’s inflicted Town with a last-minute uppercut which saw them snatch a point from the Blues and earn a 2-2 draw.


The central midfielder Allcock secured his brace in the 89th minute with a fine diving header, just evading the fingertips of the of the sprawling Callum Jakovlevs who was making his league debut for Town.


Despite fellow debutant Dean Warburton’s equaliser from the spot, Town weren’t able to breach the Sandbach defences.


This was less than two minutes following Allcock’s opener on 15 minutes as he unleashed a rasping shot that found its way into the top corner via the boot of Jakovlevs.


The game got off to a flying start with both teams pressing with intent at either end, Sandbach enjoying the majority of the early possession.


Eventually, their patience was rewarded after just a quarter of an hour when a deliciously dinked through ball from Aaron Knight fell at the feet of Allcock in behind the back line who punished Town with unerring confidence.


Almost immediately from kick off, Liam Crellin-Myers was felled in the opposition area, giving the referee no choice but to point to the spot without a moment’s hesitation.


Dean Warburton authoritatively picked up the ball and just as decisively despatched it from 12 yards on his Ericstan Park inauguration.


Warburton went mightily close to doubling his tally on the stroke of half time following a strong left-handed parry from Jakovlevs. Town proceeded to break away, with the charge led by Crellin-Myers who found Warburton bursting through the only to see his one-on-one effort thwarted by the upright.


Following the interval, substitute Steven Yarwood sent the Town faithful into raptures as he found the back of the net but alas the jubilation was severed as the linesman had raised his flag, judging that an offside blue shirt had aided the ball past Samuel Booth in the United goal.


With just seconds remaining of regulation time, blue hearts were broken as left full back Adam Clayton picked up the ball on the flank and delivered a pin point cross that found Allcock in acres of space to dive into and plant his head past the helpless Jakovlevs.


Kinsey and his troops have little time until their next encounter against West Didsbury & Chorlton on Tuesday night to lick their wounds and come back fighting for a victory that agonisingly alluded them.


-Harry Shephard


Older Newer