Town suffer narrow defeat on the road

14 Nov 2018 in Match Reports

Town suffer narrow defeat on the road Town suffer narrow defeat on the road

Wythenshawe Town made their second trip to Wellbeing Park in a matter of weeks, this time to face tenth place Stone Old Alleynians. Town found themselves fourth in the league table and with a victory had the opportunity to go second, whereas the hosts came into the fixture without a victory in five. 

It was Stone who were on the front foot from the ascendency and on two minutes split the Wythenshawe defence open as Cameron Sinclair got in behind and played a ball across the front of goal but Sam Wilson couldn’t latch onto the end of it. The next best opportunity again fell to the hosts as a James Lee corner was met by Oliver Davies, but he headed inches wide of Jake Aldred’s upright. 


The game then became even, with neither side really testing the opposition's goalkeeper, until the 35thminute, when a ball again split open the Town defence putting Jake Vernon in the clear, but his goal-bound effort was well kept out by Jake Aldred to keep the score level. 


Town looked to try and find the game’s opening goal before the break, and after a good move Connor Brotherton picked out Brad Byrne in the penalty area but just as he looked to send a shot goalward, Oliver Davies came in and made a terrific block ensuring both sides went in level at the interval.


Halftime: Stone Old Alleynians 0-0 Wythenshawe Town


Wythenshawe started the second half the team playing with the higher intensity and looked to put Adam Alcock under more pressure than they had in first half and on 52 minutes they had a glorious opportunity to take the lead. After a ball was played back to Alcock, the Town attackers put the goalkeeper under pressure and he played it straight into the path of Grant Spencer, but his blushes were spare as Spencer’s effort was straight at the Stone shot-stopper.


Just after the hour mark though Town did fall behind to the game’s only goal when a ball was played in behind the defence and into the path of Sam Wilson, but Jake Aldred managed to keep out his effort only to the ball roll into the path of Jack Tomlinson who fired home from just inside the penalty area. 


Town looked to freshen their playing personnel up using all three substitutions as they went in search of the equaliser and on 76 minutes they went close. After winning a free kick just outside the Stone penalty area, Grant Spencer played it short to Lee Gregory but he saw his effort go inches wide of the upright. 


The game was then about half chances until deep into stoppage time when Gregory was in the thick of the action again but this time in his own penalty area. Stone broke out and Sam Wilson latched onto the end of a long ball forward and managed to get into the penalty area but just as he was about to have a free shot on goal Lee Gregory slid in to make a terrific block and deny the Stone attacker, but the hosts still managed to hold on for victory.


Fulltime: Stone Old Alleynians 1-0 Wythenshawe Town


Older Newer