Warrington Town Res 1-0 Wythenshawe Town

03 Oct 2017 in Match Reports

Warrington Town Res 1-0 Wythenshawe Town Warrington Town Res 1-0 Wythenshawe Town

Wythenshawe Town left Warrington empty handed after failing to convert a number of chances on a very wet after at Cantilever Park.

The match started a very even affair with neither side able to gain control of the possession until on 8 minutes when a terrific move from Wythenshawe, saw the ball fall to striker Joe Yarwood just inside the Warrington penalty area and his strike across goal went inches wide of Josh Cook’s far post.

From here the hosts went up the other end of the pitch and won themselves a corner, which Jack Richards delivered to the near post and Dylan Glass rose highest and powerfully headed beyond Kelsey Robinson in the Wythenshawe goal to give Warrington the lead.

After the goal, the hosts dominated not allowing Wythenshawe to get out of their own half and could have doubled their lead on 17 minutes when a long ball forward from Liam Lambert found Dylan Glass clean through on goal, and he rounded the oncoming Kelsey Robinson but his effort was well blocked by Kieran Keenan.

On 25 minutes Wythenshawe winger Godfred Amankwaa was replaced by Dan King due to injury, and just 9 minutes later the Wythenshawe substitute had the visitors best chance of the half, when he was found unmarked in the area but his effort across the face of the goal went just inches wide.

Halftime: Warrington Town Reserves 1-0 Wythenshawe Town

Wythenshawe started the second half on the front foot and should have levelled after just seconds of the restart. Niall Rhodes flicked the ball over the top of the Warrington defence and found Dan King who rounded the oncoming Josh Cook but his effort from 25 yards went wide of the empty net.

Just before the hour mark, King turned provider for Rhodes after a terrific ball from the right was met by Rhodes but his headed effort went wide of the upright. On 65 minutes the hosts probably thought they had doubled their lead, after the ball fell to Rhys Bowers his effort beat Kelsey Robinson and looked to be going in only for Kieran Keenan to make a goal line sliding clearance and knock the ball over the bar.

With all still to play for, both sides continued to create chances and on 76 minutes Wythenshawe can thank goalkeeper Kelsey Robinson that they didn’t fall further behind, when Warrington substitute Rhys Bowers picked the ball up just inside the penalty area his low powerful effort looked to be nestling in the bottom corner but Robinson got down low to make a terrific save and deny Warrington their second goal of the afternoon.

With just minutes left to play it was Wythenshawe who threw everything at Warrington going in search of an equaliser, and on 88 minutes the visitors won a free kick just outside the Warrington penalty area which fullback Ash McGrath stepped up to take, but his goal bound effort was well kept out by Warrington goalkeeper Josh Cook who got across his goal and parried the ball away.

Fulltime: Warrington Town 1-0 Wythenshawe Town

Wythenshawe Town are next in action on Saturday 7th October 2017 when we host Crewe FC in the JB Parker Premier Division Challenge Cup. Kick off is 3pm


Older Newer