Whaley Bridge 3-1 Wythenshawe Town

26 Mar 2017 in Match Reports

Whaley Bridge 3-1 Wythenshawe Town Whaley Bridge 3-1 Wythenshawe Town

Whaley Bridge took all three points in the Cheshire Football League top of the table clash after beating Wythenshawe Town 3-1 at Park Road.

The hosts started the game the better side and had the game’s opening opportunity when James Gemmill picked the ball up 25 yards from goal but fired well over the top of Jacob Luty’s goal. Whaley Bridge continued their early dominance and on 17 minutes they were awarded a penalty after Tom Scorer was bought down by Wythenshawe centre half Jack O’Halloran just inside the penalty area, and Bill Sutton stepped up and sent Jacob Luty the wrong way to give the hosts the lead.

Just five minutes later and the hosts had a chance to double their lead, after Lee Morris corner was hit to the far post keeper Luty could only parry the ball to stop it from going in the back of the net and the ball was fired across goal but nobody could get onto the end of it and the Wythenshawe defence managed to clear the danger.

Wythenshawe’s first real chance of the half came on the half hour mark when striker Douglas Carroll picked the ball up on the edge of the area and managed to turn his marker but fired wide of James Tattersall’s goal. Just three minutes later and the visitors had another opportunity when a long ball from Luty was flicked over the Whaley Bridge defence by David Moreno, Ash Leatherhead ran onto it and his cross found Carroll unmarked in the area but his effort across goal went inches wide of James Tattersall far post.

On the stroke of half time the hosts doubled their advantage when Lee Morris crossed the ball from the left and after taking a deflection off a Wythenshawe defender Bill Sutton converted from inside the area beyond the helpless Jacob Luty.

Halftime: Whaley Bridge 2-0 Wythenshawe

Wythenshawe started the second half the better side and had a glorious chance to half the deficit in the opening seconds, when a throw in fell to midfielder Rico Stewart his strike across goal took a slight deflection and went inches wide of James Tattersall goal. But after dominating the opening endeavours of the second half, Wythenshawe found themselves even further behind when on 50 minutes, Whaley Bridge won a free kick just to the right of the Wythenshawe penalty area and Bill Sutton found captain Rob Newton unmarked at the far post and his header was too powerful and beat Jacob Luty. Just 5 minutes later and the hosts were reduced to ten men after Will Bailey gave referee Jason McAuley no option other than to produce a red card after a dangerous tackle on Cyril Owalabi, forcing Owalabi to leave the pitch injured.

With their numerical advantage, Wythenshawe went in search of a way back into the game creating several opportunities, the first when substitute Remi Williams corner from the left was met by centre half Lee Hargreaves at the far post but his header was straight at James Tattersall who made a routine save. The next fell to Rico Stewart, who was found on the edge of the area again from a Williams corner and his effort struck the post and bounced wide.

But on 80 minutes Stewart did have a goal, when he picked up a loose ball in the centre of the pitch he ran at the Whaley Bridge defence and saw his shot from 25 yards out take a slight deflection and loop over James Tattersall and into the back of the net. From here Wythenshawe continued to put pressure on Whaley Bridge and two minutes from time goal scorer Rico Stewart had a free kick 25 yards from goal but his effort was straight down the throat of Tattersall who made an easy save.

Fulltime: Whaley Bridge 3-1 Wythenshawe Town


Older Newer