Wythenshawe Town 0 - 0 Crewe FC

18 Feb 2018 in Match Reports

Wythenshawe Town 0 - 0 Crewe FC Wythenshawe Town 0 - 0 Crewe FC

Another competitive head-to-head between Wythenshawe Town and Crewe saw neither team able to find the back of the net, ending the afternoon a stalemate.   

But it wasn’t for the want of trying as both sides battled hard to create chances.  The hosts had most of the possession in the opening ten minutes and a free kick after Crewe’s Kieran O’Connor brought down Wythenshawe’s debutant Will Hartley saw an early chance for the home side, but Joe Yarwood’s header across goal saw no takers.  Only a minute or so later and Kayle Power was fouled on the edge of the area, granting Wythenshawe Town another free kick.  This time Isaac Graham stepped up and went for the top left corner, but his curling effort powered over the cross bar.

On fifteen minutes, Crewe had their first clear cut chance at goal when Ashworth’s free kick was played out wide allowing the away side to penetrate the Wythenshawe Town area.  Town struggled to clear their lines, giving Crewe a second chance at goal via Jake Malinder but he could only drive at the side netting.

After a foul from Town’s Ben Shawcross on twenty-two minutes, Crewe came close to opening the scoring when O’Connor’s free kick was met on the volley by Danny Massey.  Town’s keeper Ben Daniels could only clear the ball as far as the awaiting Crewe attack, forcing a clearance by new Centre Half Fernando Osagie to keep the danger at bay.

The chances continued to come thick and fast for both sides with the balance of power shifting between them until the half-time whistle.  Ryan McCue’s mis-kick in front of goal for Town was a nervous moment but Saul Brew-Butler was there to clear the risk.  At the other end, right before half-time, a mistake by Crewe saw the ball fall to Town’s midfielder Will Hartley, who scuffed his shot, seeing the ball go wayward towards the right corner flag.  

Half-time – Wythenshawe Town 0 - 0 Crewe FC

Wythenshawe Town started the second half with vigour and after fifteen minutes and both sides making a substitution, the best of the chances came for the hosts after James Taylor showed fantastic strength in midfield; his ball through to Isaac Graham gave the rangy midfielder a chance at goal but he could only see his effort saved by Arran Lyons.

Thirty minutes into the second half and once again Crewe came nail-bitingly close to scoring when Town’s Ben Daniels failed to collect after a routine save.  The ball fell to the feet of two awaiting Crewe players who missed the opportunity to chip over the keeper, instead sending the ball out for a goal kick.

Only a minute later and Town were awarded a free kick, taken by Ash McGrath whose delivery found Joe Yarwood in the air, but he couldn’t guide his header into the back of the net, and instead it went over the crossbar.

As the minutes ticked by and both teams fought for that elusive goal and the much-needed three points, it was Town who found themselves so near yet so far after a goalmouth scramble following an Ash McGrath corner, just couldn’t get the ball past the steadfast Crewe defence.  That was followed by a long ball from the visitors, falling to Nathan Southern’s feet, but Crewe’s prolific striker was denied his goal and probably Crewe’s best chance of the game, when his effort went wide of the upright.

Right at the last minute and Town got the last chance for the afternoon when Ash McGrath’s free kick found Jake Gregory, but his right foot shot on target was expertly saved by Lyons to seal the point-a-piece deal.

The hard-fought encounter may well have ended a goalless draw but the determined effort from both sides was non-stop and all in all, ended a fair result.  

Full-time: Wythenshawe Town 0 - 0 Crewe FC

Wythenshawe Town FC Man of the Match
James Taylor

Manager David Potter’s comments:
“We put in a solid performance this afternoon and it was pleasing to see some good defensive play - no goals were conceded, and we were unlucky not to score with all the chances we had.  Jamie Taylor was an engine out there on the pitch and is the deserving man of the match.  We’ve never beat Crewe before, so to take a point from the game today is a positive.  Knutsford next weekend will be a tough test, but it will be good to see how far we’ve come by then and hopefully we can put in a good performance against them.”

The next game for Wythenshawe Town in the Cheshire Premier league is away to Knutsford FC on Saturday 24th February, 2pm kick off at Manchester Road, Knutsford, WA16 0NX.


Older Newer