Wythenshawe Town 0-3 Poynton

19 Mar 2018 in Match Reports

Wythenshawe Town 0-3 Poynton Wythenshawe Town 0-3 Poynton

Wythenshawe Town slipped to a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Poynton, leaving them on a run of 3 straight defeats. The game started a fairly even contest with the first meaningful chance coming on eight minutes, when a Poynton corner was delivered by Matt Toole and it reached Nick Challinor at the far post but his headed effort went into the side netting.

It was the visitors who had the next best chance of the afternoon when a free kick was hit into the penalty area and the Wythenshawe defence headed clear but only as far as Toole who hit an effort from the edge of the area just over the top of Kelsey Robinson's crossbar.

After this Wythenshawe began to get a foothold in the game and had two chances in two minutes to take the lead. Firstly, a good move saw Gavin Salmon find debutant Jordan Arkile-Young unmarked in the penalty area but his effort went into the side netting, and then just a minute later Gavin Salmon found himself clean through but his effort went over the top of the mason Mostyn’s crossbar.

The hosts kept the pressure on and forced Mason Mostyn into a fine save just after the half-hour mark when Ryan McCue found Ash Leather but his effort from just inside the penalty area was parried away by Mostyn. Despite having the better of the chances, it was Poynton who got the game’s opening goal on 37 minutes, when they were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal and Nick Challinor struck a terrific effort into the top corner.

Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 0-1 Poynton FC

The second half began similarly to the first with neither goalkeeper really tested early on, but the weather conditions became testing as the snow began to fall heavy and visibility became an issue for a short period of time.

Following the brief period of heavy snow the sun came out and Wythenshawe had the opportunity to draw level when a long ball forward from Fernando Mario found Ryan McCue but his effort from inside the penalty area was well kept out by Mason Mostyn in the Poynton goal.

On 72 minutes though Poynton doubled their lead through a fortune of good luck as Kelsey Robinson came out of his area to clear a ball but could only clear as far as Andy Simpson who managed hit home from range into an empty net and just eight minutes later the visitors wrapped up all 3 points, following a counter-attack from a Wythenshawe corner and a goalmouth scramble the ball fell to Jason Leach who hit home from close range.

Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 0-3 Poynton FC


Older Newer