Wythenshawe Town 0-5 Linotype

18 Aug 2017 in Match Reports

Wythenshawe Town 0-5 Linotype Wythenshawe Town 0-5 Linotype

Wythenshawe Town suffered their first defeat of 2017/2018 campaign, as they lost 5-0 to local rivals Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads.

The visitors started the game brightly, and could have taken the lead on 6 minutes when a corner taken by captain Adam Stuart dropped in the six-yard area and after a goal mouth scramble the ball fell to former Wythenshawe player Dean McGregor but his shot from close range was deflected behind for another corner by the hosts defence.

From the resulting corner, it was déjà vu as Stuart found McGregor again, and this time the midfielder headed beyond Kelsey Robinson to give Linotype the lead. Just 11 minutes later and another corner for the visitors was taken from the right by Stuart, and Kelsey Robinson in the Wythenshawe goal came to collect the ball but missed it and Tom Pye was on hand to head home and double the visitors advantage.

Just four minutes later things could have got worse for Wythenshawe, as Linotype striker Joe Campbell picked the ball up and ran towards goal but his shot from the edge of the area was straight at Robinson who was able to make a routine save.

On 26 minutes Wythenshawe created their first clear cut opportunity of the evening, as Kayle Power played in Leon Grandison but his shot across Aaron Tyrer’s goal went inches wide of the far post. Just 8 minutes later and the hosts had another terrific opportunity to half the deficit, when new signing Matt Tierney played in Kayle Power behind the Linotype defence but his effort was tame and straight at Tyrer who was able to make a simple save.

Despite having a period of creating the better chances, the hosts fell further behind on 38 minutes after a long throw into the penalty area was headed away it fell to Joe Campbell on the edge of the area and he fired into the top corner giving goalkeeper Robinson no chance.

Straight from the kick off Wythenshawe went down the other end and should have scored, as Niall Rhodes found himself in the clear and squared the ball to Kayle Power in the six-yard box but Powers effort was somehow kept out by Tyrer in the Linotype goal.

On the stroke of halftime Linotype were gifted their fourth goal of the evening, after defender Ben Pond’s back pass to Kelsey Robinson was to short Terry Wallace ran onto the loose ball and knocked beyond Robinson and then hit into an empty net from close range.

Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 0-4 Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads

The start of the second half saw Wythenshawe make a double substitution with Ash Leather and Jay Taylor coming on to replace Sam Barnett and Matt Tierney, and after only two minutes of the restart, substitute Taylor played a ball behind the Linotype defence and Leon Grandison ran onto it only to for his effort to go straight down the throat of goalkeeper Tyrer.


Just after the hour mark Wythenshawe had a glorious opportunity to pull a goal back, after a corner fell to Ash Leather and he put the ball back into the area and fullback Jake Gregory met it with a powerful header only to be denied by the inform Tyrer.

On 88 minutes though the visitors made sure the points were all wrapped up, as a free kick was played into the box and substitute Adam Bugan rose highest and headed home from close range.

Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 0-5 Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads

Wythenshawe Town are next in action on Saturday 19th August 2017 when they visit Crewe FC. Kick off is 3pm.


Older Newer