Wythenshawe Town 1-1 Rudheath Social

21 Mar 2017 in Match Reports

Wythenshawe Town 1-1 Rudheath Social Wythenshawe Town 1-1 Rudheath Social

A goal drought for Wythenshawe Town, despite the rain

In a game of relentless pressure and numerous chances for Wythenshawe Town, it ended a goal apiece on Saturday’s match at Ericstan Park.      

On a very wet afternoon, conditions weren’t great and neither was the action with the first half a game of frustration and plentiful missed goals.  It was Rudheath Social who started with the early pressure but that was soon reversed after 6 minutes of play when a great ball from Dan King put Dougie Carroll through, although his shot was collected with ease by the Rudheath goalkeeper.

Wythenshawe Town had all the possession for the next ten minutes or so with chances to score from a Rico Stewart free kick followed by a corner kick from Remi Williams, which Jake Gregory got his head onto, but headed out over the crossbar.  After an attempt from Rudheath’s Luke Billington from 30 yards out which was picked up with ease by Wythenshawe Town’s Ben Daniels, all the chances to be had, but which weren’t taken, were Wythenshawe’s.

Remi Williams had two fantastic efforts: the first after a great run from the half way line, past the opposition but he ended up putting the ball wide of the post and then the second after a superb ball from Dougie Carroll but Remi just couldn’t get a foot on it to help it into the back of the net. Then followed chance after chance for the home side, including a goal line scramble which ended up somehow not crossing the line. 

After another Wythenshawe Town free kick was cleared, the visitors went on the counter attack, taking aim at the homeside goal, requiring Ben Daniels to come out and make the save.  Rudheath Social got another shot at goal but then a foolish tackle on the wet surface by the Wythenshawe Town goalkeeper, on Rudheath’s Aidie Lees, saw the away team awarded a penalty which was comfortably converted by Captain Michael Evans to put the visitors ahead at half time.

Halftime – Wythenshawe Town 0 - 1 Rudheath Social

The second half started with Wythenshawe Town showing the same hunger for goals as they did in the first, although an early shot from Rudheath Social’s Ash Wells, from about 25 yards out, nearly upset matters.

The chances for Wythenshawe Town kept continuing with inspiring runs coming through the midfield but nobody could capitalise on the opportunities – some of the misses were breath-taking!  The deadlock was broken in the 28th minute of the second half when a fantastic run from the halfway line by Dan King, past two Rudheath players, saw him cross the ball hard and low to the oncoming Will Harney who headed it into the back of the net to equalise.

Immediately after the goal, Wythenshawe Town were awarded a free kick, which was taken by Rico Stewart who was unlucky to see his on-target effort hit the crossbar and skim the top netting.

The pace of the game picked up towards the end although frustrations were clearly starting to show, which led to a few yellow cards being served.  Wythenshawe Town kept the pressure on all the way to the end - new signing Ash Stott came close to tapping the ball into the back of the net, but missed out when it was cleared off the line, ending the game in a draw.

Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 1 - 1 Rudheath Social

The next game for Wythenshawe Town in the Cheshire Premier league is away to Congleton Vale FC on Wednesday 22nd March 2017, 7pm kick off.


Older Newer