Wythenshawe Town 1-2 Knutsford FC

15 Jan 2018 in Match Reports

Wythenshawe Town 1-2 Knutsford FC Wythenshawe Town 1-2 Knutsford FC

In what was a game of two halves, Wythenshawe Town were on the wrong end of a defeat at the hands of Knutsford FC. The visitors started the match the better side and won a free kick just outside of the penalty area after 2 minutes only to see the effort go high and wide.

They kept the pressure on and inside the opening ten minutes they took the lead when they were allowed to drift in from the right wing too easily and Liam Crellin-Myers was picked out on the edge of the area and he turned and saw his shot go beyond Ben Daniels in the Wythenshawe goal.

The visitors could have doubled their advantage on 17 minutes when a corner was only cleared to the edge of the area and the follow-up shot had Daniels beaten but rebounded off the crossbar.

It wasn’t until after the half-hour mark that Wythenshawe really threatened the Knutsford defence when a free kick was put into the area from Gavin Salmon and the visitors defence only cleared as far as Godfred Amankwaa who ran into the area and was upended, before captain Joe Yarwood took responsibility of the spot kick and slammed past Sam Moore giving the Knutsford goalkeeper no chance.

Wythenshawe would have hoped to have gone into the break on level terms as they were once again pushed back by relentless Knutsford pressure, but on the stroke of the break the visitors won a free kick just outside the penalty area but Dean Warburton saw his strike hit the wall before rebounding back to him and his effort from the edge of the area went into the bottom corner.

Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 1-2 Knutsford FC

Wythenshawe manager Lee Bennett made a halftime substitute with Ashley Leather replacing Rory Robinson, and the winger was effective immediately after James Taylor’s cross was flicked on by Gavin Salmon it fell the Leather at the back post but his effort was saved by Sam Moore in the Knutsford goal.


Just minutes later and Leather was at the centre of another Wythenshawe attack, this time he beat his marker and cut inside onto his right foot but his powerful effort went just over the crossbar.

Wythenshawe continued their pressure and just after the hour mark they had another opportunity to draw level, after a good run down the right by Syrone Allen he picked out Godfred Amankwaa unmarked in the penalty area but the striker couldn’t put his effort on target. Amankwaa had another opportunity on 70 minutes when Salmon picked him out but his effort was well saved by Moore in the Knutsford goal.

Wythenshawe’s best chance of the second half came with just a couple of minutes remaining, when substitute Ashley McGrath found Joe Yarwood and he picked out Gavin Salmon after playing a terrific ball over the top of the Knutsford defence but Salmon’s effort from inside the penalty area went just wide and meant that Knutsford took all 3 points.

Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 1-2 Knutsford FC


Older Newer