Wythenshawe Town 1-2 Maine Road

26 Aug 2018 in Match Reports

Grant Spencer v Maine Road

Wythenshawe Town suffered their second successive defeat at the hands to Maine Road on Saturday afternoon at Ericstan Park. 

The visitors came into the contest rooted to the foot of the table and without a win so far this season. 


Town looked to take advantage of that and started the brighter of the two teams and had the games opening opportunity on four minutes when a ball from the left found Michael Taylor on the edge of the area but his powerful effort was straight at James Downhill in the Maine Road goal. The hosts looked to keep up the early pressure and it was midfielder Grant Spencer who had the games next best opportunity when he beat his marker wide left but his effort from inside the penalty area was deflected into the arms of Downhill. 


Just before the half-hour mark of the game, Taylor had another glorious opportunity to open the scoring after Brad Byrne played a corner to the far post and the Town midfielder met but his powerful header went over the upright.


The other side of the half-hour mark and Town were made to pay for missed chances when Maine Roads Christy O’Brien picked the ball up 35 yards from goal and he unleashed a terrific effort which beat Dale Latham in the Town goal. After the goal Town got back on top of the game and drew level just four minutes later after a long ball forward from fullback Jonny Poizer was met by Sam Jones and he played a terrific ball across the goal and Brad Byrne hit home from close range.


Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 1-1 Maine Road


Just after the interval Maine Road could have taken the lead when a ball split open the Town back four and Michael Burke ran onto it but he fired beyond the far post from inside the penalty area.


The game seemed to fizzle out midway through the second half with neither side able to create any clear-cut opportunities until a corner for the hosts from the right found Chris Middleton at the far post but his two efforts at goal were blocked and Maine Road cleared away.


On 68 minutes Maine Road won a freekick 30 yards from goal which Mark German delivered and Reece Jones beat his marker and powerfully headed home beyond Dale Latham to restore the visitors lead.


Just before the final whistle Town had an opportunity to draw level when Sam Jones ran onto a long ball forward and beat keeper Downhill to it before playing it back to debutant Jake Parker but the wingers effort from the edge of the area went wide of the upright, ensuring that Maine Road took all three points.


Full time: Wythenshawe Town 1-2 Maine Road


Manager James Kinsey post-match comments "The past two games have been nowhere near good enough. We have had five shots at us all season and we’ve conceded five. We need to learn that you have to take your chances in this league. The lads have been great and I’m not worried about this past week as I know we will come good. We have assembled a brand new squad that have been together for just two months. These things take time, of course, it’s just frustrating that we feel we have thrown away six points at this point in the season.


We have an opportunity to put things right on Monday but I am certain it won’t come easy. We have a great group and the unity is there. We will work hard to put things right, and fast"


Older Newer