Wythenshawe Town 2-2 Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads

09 Apr 2017 in Match Reports

Wythenshawe Town 2-2 Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads Wythenshawe Town 2-2 Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads

Wythenshawe Town squandered a two-goal lead, as they drew 2-2 away from home with Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads, there third successive league draw.

The visitors made a glorious start to the game when striker Doughie Carroll gave them the lead after just eight minutes, after a long ball from centre half Dan Davis went over the top of the hosts defence Carroll ran onto it and lobbed oncoming goalkeeper Aaron Tyrer from just inside the penalty area. 

After the goal both sides created half chances but both defences stood resolute, but on 27 minutes Wythenshawe had their second goal of the afternoon when David Moreno intercepted a throw in deep in the Linotype half he beat the fullback and pulled the ball back to Carroll who was unmarked and hit beyond Tyrer from close range to double his and Wythenshawe’s tally.

After conceding the second goal Linotype seemed to gain a bit of control of the game and on 35 minutes they created their best chance of the half so far when, Ashley Harrison beat Jake Gregory and pulled it back to Phil Youille on the edge of the area but Youille saw his shot go just inches wide of Kelsey Robinson's goal. But just two minutes later, the hosts halved the deficit when a free kick from the left taken by Adam Stuart beat everyone in the box and Jonathan Rand found himself unmarked and headed home from six yards out. 

Halftime: Linotype 1-2 Wythenshawe

The second half started with neither side able to gain control of the possession, and been restricted to half chances. The first of those falling to the visitors when they won a free kick about 25 yards from goal but Carroll on a hat trick saw his direct effort go straight into the hands of Aaron Tyrer who was able to make a routine save. 

Just after the hour mark and Carroll was in the thick of the action again when he put pressure on Linotype keeper Tyrer, his kick went out of play and from the resulting corner Carroll met Remi Williams delivery but fired high and wide at the near post.

Just a few minutes and Linotype had a glorious opportunity to draw level when a long ball forward beat the Wythenshawe defence, Kayle Power found himself clean through on goal but before he could get a shot away Wythenshawe keeper Kelsey Robinson charged out and made a great interception with his feet and cleared the danger.

From the save the visitors went on the attack and won a corner which saw David Moreno pick out Captain Rico Stewart on the edge of the area and his effort stung the palms of Tyrer and the Linotype defence cleared away the ball before any of the Wythenshawe players could tap home into an empty net.

On 84 minutes Linotype won a free kick on the left side of the penalty area about 25 yards from goal, and Adam Stuart’s delivery to the far post was headed back across goal and there was Ashley Harrison to prod home from 6 yards out to draw the hosts level.

After the goal both teams went in search of the winner but it was Wythenshawe who had the best chance, when Moreno picked the ball up on the right he switched the play to the left and found substitute Stefano Idugbor who beat his marker and then cutback onto his right foot but his effort from just inside the Linotype area was hit just wide of Aaron Tyrer’s near post. 

Fulltime: Linotype 2-2 Wythenshawe 



Older Newer