Wythenshawe Town 2-2 Stone Old Alleynians

24 Dec 2018 in Match Reports

Pre-Match handshakes

Brad Byrne at kick-off

Lee Gregory goes close for Town!

Stone take the lead

Liam Crellin-Myers equalises for Town!

Brad Byrne pulls Town level

Spencer Jenkinson keeps possession

Adam Farrand holds off his marker

Wythenshawe Town twice came from behind to draw with Stone Old Alleynians at Ericstan Park on Saturday afternoon.

The game started an even affair, but Town could have been ahead on two minutes when a corner from the left found Lee Gregory at the far post, but he headed over from close range. After the early Town chance, the play was in the middle of the pitch with neither goalkeeper called into action until on the twelfth minute when Stone took the lead. The visitors were given a dubious freekick on the edge of the penalty area and Jake Vernon curled an effort into the top corner and despite the best efforts of Ben Purdham who got a hand to the strike he couldn’t keep it out. 


On twenty minutes Town had a terrific opportunity to draw level when a long ball forward from Sam Heathcote played in Justin Pickering behind the Stone defence but the winger hit his effort wide of the upright. Town kept the pressure on and created a couple of half chances prior to the interval. First, a freekick was played towards Heathcote and he managed to head back into the penalty area which Stone cleared away but only as far as Lee Gregory, but his effort went wide of the upright. Just moments later Town got in behind the visitor's defence after Matthew Landregan headed down into the path of Paul Sunderland who split the Stone defence open and found Justin Pickering but his effort from inside the penalty area went wide of the upright.


Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 0-1 Stone Old Alleynians


After the break, the game was very even again with the opening opportunity falling to the visitors. A ball was played into the path of goal scorer Jake Vernon who managed to swivel and strike an effort goalwards but Ben Purdham made a terrific save to deny the Stone player his second of the afternoon. 


Moments later Wythenshawe won a corner, which Justin Pickering played low to the front post and Lee Gregory met and hit an effort goalward which had Adam Alcock beaten but the defence managed to clear off the line. Town made an attacking change which saw Liam Crellin-Myers come on for the injured Nia Bayunu and Crellin-Myers was straight in the thick of the action as he played a ball into the path of Adam Farrand who drove into the area but his powerful effort was well saved by Alcock. 


Town didn’t stop throwing everything at Stone and on the hour mark they were rewarded as a great move, saw Matthew Landregan play a terrific ball down the right into the path of Brad Byrne and the Town winger played a ball straight into the area which found Pickering and he played a ball across goal into the path of Liam Crellin-Myers who headed home from close range. 


Three minutes later though Stone retook the lead as a ball was played forward into the path of Sam Wilson and he managed to poke past the oncoming Purdham. Prior to Stone retaking the lead, Ben Steer replaced Matthew Landregan and it was the Town substitutes long throw-in that helped the hosts draw level. After launching the ball into the penalty area it caused mayhem in the Stone penalty area with the ball falling to Brad Byrne and he slammed home past Alcock. 


Both sides had chances to collect all three points in the final ten minutes. First, the visitors Luke Askey was picked out unmarked in the penalty area, but his effort went over the top of the crossbar before a Ben Steer cross was met by Crellin-Myers but his header was straight at Alcock and meant that both teams shared the points. 


Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 2-2 Stone Old Alleynians


Older Newer