Wythenshawe Town 2-3 AFC Blackpool

09 Sep 2018 in Match Reports

Ben Steer v AFC Blackpool

Connor Brotherton v AFC Blackpool

Town celebrate Gavin Salmon's goal

Ben Steer scores Towns second of the afternoon!

Jake Parkers spectacular overhead kick

Wythenshawe Town crashed out of the First Division Cup at the first of asking, following a 2-3 defeat to AFC Blackpool at Ericstan Park on Saturday afternoon. 

The game began under heavy rain and the conditions nearly caught goalkeeper Ben Daniels out on two minutes when a cross from the right looped over the top of and him with Connor Brotherton managing to get back and clear off the line, but his clearance was only as far as Conor Finlayson but Daniels made amends and he made a terrific save to deny the Blackpool player from close range. 


Town then began to gain control of the game and on twelve minutes had a couple of opportunities to take the lead. First, winger Ben Steer beat his marker on the right and cut onto his left foot but his effort was well blocked by the Blackpool defence as they managed to guide it behind for a corner. From the resulting corner, Jake Parker picked out Gavin Salmon but his close-range effort was well tipped over by Blackpool goalkeeper Cameron. 


Salmon then had Cameron under pressure again as Town won a free kick 30 yards from goal, and the Wythenshawe attacker struck an effort directly at goal forcing Cameron to parry away. 


Despite all the early pressure from the hosts, it was AFC Blackpool who took the lead just after the half-hour mark, when a ball from the left from Carnan Dawson wasn’t dealt with by the Town defence and the ball fell to Ryan Vaughan who hit home giving Daniels no chance. 


After taking the lead the visitors went in search of further goals and just two minutes after breaking the deadlock they had another opportunity and again Dawson was at the heart of the attack. Again, the Blackpool winger put a ball in from wide left and it fell to Ben Duffield and just as he let fly debutant centre-half Cial Callacher slide in and superbly blocked the goal-bound effort. 


Town then made the visitors pay for missed chances when a superb move down the right saw Jake Parker play the ball into Connor Brotherton and the fullback charged into the area and just when it looked like he was about to shoot, he pulled the ball back to Gavin Salmon and the Town attacker rifled home from close range to draw the hosts level!


The action didn’t end there though as despite drawing level Town found themselves behind again just two minutes later. A ball from the centre of the pitch was played wide to Martin Baird and he went beyond Daniel Walker and powerfully struck beyond Daniels from just inside the penalty area. 


Halftime: Town 1-2 AFC Blackpool


With Town, behind at the interval they came out going in search of the equaliser and on 51 minutes captain Dylan Stringer-Moth found space down the left wing and played a terrific ball into the penalty area and Jake Parker met but his header went over the upright. 


Beyond this opportunity, the game became a scrappy affair with neither side really forcing either goalkeeper into a meaningful save until the final fifteen minutes when the game again kicked into life. 


A good Town move saw Lee Gregory pick out Stringer-Moth, who then played a long ball forward and Jake Parker beat the oncoming Blackpool goalkeeper Alex Cameron to the ball but his touch was too heavy and the ball ran out of play. 


Just three minutes later though the visitors had their third goal of the afternoon. After winning a free kick just outside the penalty area the initial effort was blocked by the wall but the rebound fell to Dawson and he hit a terrific effort into the top corner. 


After falling further behind Town through everything at Blackpool to find a way back into the match and Jake Parker must have thought he had halved the deficit when Ben Steer picked him out at the far post and his goal-bound effort had Cameron beat but out of nowhere a Blackpool defender slid in and cleared the effort off the line!


Two minutes later though the hosts did have the ball in the back of the net after Connor Brotherton’s ball found Stringer-Moth and he picked out Ben Steer who fired home from inside the penalty area. Town then had two more terrific opportunities to draw level first, across from the left picked out Jake Parker but he saw his acrobatic overhead kick come back off the post, before deep in added time substitute Liam Crellin-Myers held off his marker well and picked out Ben Steer but his left-footed effort hit the crossbar and went over.


Fulltime: Town 2-3 AFC Blackpool 


*Town are in action at Ericstan Park on Saturday 15th September 2018 against St Martins. Kick-off is 3pm*


Older Newer