Wythenshawe Town 2-3 Eagle Sports

22 Jan 2018 in Match Reports

Wythenshawe Town 2-3 Eagle Sports Wythenshawe Town 2-3 Eagle Sports

The game started an even contest with both sides struggling to gain the majority of possession, but on 10 minutes Wythenshawe captain Joe Yarwood had an opportunity to give the hosts the lead when he met and cross and headed across Andy Stringers goal but the Eagle Sports keeper managed to get fingertips to it and deny Yarwood the afternoons opening goal.


Just seven minutes later though the visitors took the lead when they won a free kick on the left, which was delivered into the penalty area and Oliver Fleming flicked over the oncoming Ben Daniels.

The lead was short lived though as Wythenshawe hit back just five minutes later when Gavin Salmon put pressure on Stringer in the Eagle Sports goal after a long ball forward the goalkeeper tried to take the striker on but Salmon won the ball and hit home into an empty net.

The third goal of the game came just three minutes later when a long ball forward from Eagle Sports should have been easily dealt with by the Wythenshawe defence but centre-half Kieron Keeney sliced his clearance and it went over Daniels in the Wythenshawe goal to give the visitors the lead again.

After falling behind for the second time, Wythenshawe ended the half the more dominant team and with just a few minutes remaining before the break Godfred Amankwaa met a cross from the right but his acrobatic overhead kick went just inches over the crossbar.

Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 1-2 Eagle Sports

Nine minutes after the break Wythenshawe managed to draw level when captain Joe Yarwood’s free-kick was met by Isaac Graham who managed to head across goal and find Zac Clarke who headed home at the far post.

Wythenshawe went in search of the goal to put them in front for the first time in the match and on 69 minutes winger Ash Leather’s cross was picked up by Amankwaa but his effort from just inside the penalty area went just over the crossbar.

The hosts continued to put the pressure on and had a couple of half chances from set pieces which saw both Yarwood and Graham strike just wide of the upright and then in the final ten minutes a corner was cleared by the Eagle Sports defence but only as far as Amankwaa but again his effort went just wide of the upright.

Just moments later the hosts were reduced to ten men when an off the ball incident resulted in Ash Leather receiving a red card, and then just into stoppage time the visitors managed to grab the winner when a free kick from the left was met by Fleming who flicked the ball into the near post.

Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 2-3 Eagle Sports


Older Newer