Wythenshawe Town 3-1 Altrincham FC Res

24 Sep 2017 in Match Reports

Wythenshawe Town 3-1 Altrincham FC Res Wythenshawe Town 3-1 Altrincham FC Res

An action-packed afternoon at Ericstan Park saw 4 goals and 3 red cards, as Wythenshawe Town ran out 3-1 victors over Altrincham FC Reserves. 

The hosts started the brighter of the two sides and found themselves ahead on 8 minutes as captain Rico Stewart found Godfred Amankwaa inside the penalty area and the Wythenshawe winger fired across Callum Terry and into the far corner. 

Just 3 minutes later though the visitors could have drawn level had it not been for Wythenshawe Town goalkeeper Kelsey Robinson. After winning a free kick on the edge of the area, Sean Miller’s strike forced Robinson into a terrific save, as he managed to tip the ball onto the crossbar. 

On 22 minutes Wythenshawe doubled their lead after fullback Ash McGrath found Ash Leather, the midfielder and from the touchline his looping effort went over the top of Callum Terry and nestled into his far corner! 

With the hosts looking comfortable and having a two-goal advantage they looked to keep hold of the ball and draw Altrincham out, and on the stroke of halftime they did after Dan King’s through ball split the Altrincham defence, goal scorer Ash Leather found himself clean through but as he approached Callum Terry he tried to go around him but the Altrincham shot-stopper made a terrific save at the feet of Leather, to deny Wythenshawe a third goal of the half. 

Wythenshawe Town 2-0 Altrincham FC Reserves

The second half started off slowly with both teams trying to establish control of the possession, and it wasn’t until the 70th minute that the first real chance of the half was created. Substitute Stefano Idugbor led a Wythenshawe break out and played the ball to Niall Rhodes, who cut inside and then fired towards goal but his effort went just inches wide of the upright.

With just under 15 minutes of the game to go Wythenshawe wrapped up all 3 points, after Rhodes again cut inside his marker his shot was saved by Terry but he couldn’t keep hold of the ball and pushed it back into open play and the ball rebounded off Jordan Milne and beyond Terry to give the hosts a 3-0 lead. 

The action didn’t end there though, as on 89 minutes Altrincham grabbed a consolation goal after a ball found substitute Will Smith in the box, he turned his marker and slammed beyond Kelsey Robinson. 

Just as the game looked to be drawing to a close, Wythenshawe looked to keep the ball in the corner with Ben Pond, but as he turned out Altrincham defender Tom Westall committed a horrific tackle on him which sparked a melee with all 22 players getting involved. The referee took some time to discuss with his officials and then produced 3 red cards, the first to Westall for the challenge, the second to Ben Pond for his reaction and then he sent off Wythenshawe’s other centre-half Richard Gresty, leaving both sides ending the game without a full complement of players.

Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 3-1 Altrincham FC Reserves

Wythenshawe Town are next in action Saturday 30th October 2017 away at Warrington Town Reserves, Kick-off 3pm


Older Newer