Anstey Nomads vs Wythenshawe town report

13 Feb 2022 in News

Anstey Nomads vs Wythenshawe town report Anstey Nomads vs Wythenshawe town report

Saturday 12th February

Match report: Anstey Nomads 1-1 Wythenshawe Town (2-3 penalties)

Wythenshawe Town qualify for the FA vase quarter finals after ousting Anstey Nomads on penalties.

Heading into Saturday’s cup fixture, Wythenshawe had sustained a run of 8 games unbeaten. The mentality in which James Kinsey’s side have showcased in recent weeks to grind out consistent results had been replicated once more as Town held their nerve, to advance to the quarter finals, and a step closer to the final at Wembley.

Wythenshawe, whom managed to edge out FA vase favourites Consett Town in the previous round, will be regarded as one of the teams to avoid in Monday’s quarter final draw, after once more eliminating one of the top sides that had remained in the competition.

The match in isolation was a typical scrappy 5th round cup encounter, of few chances. Both Morgan Bacon and Conrad Logan between the sticks remained spectators for most of the 90 minutes, with the bulk of their efforts being exerted during the penalty shootout.

Despite both goalkeepers being asked few questions, particularly in the first half, Anstey Nomad’s Conrad Logan was called into action in the early exchanges after Steve Hewitt’s low driven strike on the edge of the penalty area forced a save from the former Leicester City goalkeeper.

In spite of the visitors dominating the ball in the opening 45 minutes, Zayn Hakeem missed a great chance to put his side ahead mid-way through the half.  After the forward was slipped in on goal, the Anstey Nomads marksman utilised his pace, bearing down on Morgan Bacon, before taking it past the keeper. However, his poor control forced him to shoot from an acute angle, as his effort diverted the wrong side of the post.  

The pace of the Anstey Nomad’s frontline appeared the isolated threat to Wythenshawe’s defence in the first half, after yet again a ball in behind the backline caused an issue. On this occasion, the pass was snatched upon by captain Michael Reeve, whose tame effort Was comfortably seized upon by Morgan Bacon.

The first few minutes of the second half nearly saw the visitors open the scoring, after Steve Hewitt’s deflected cross from the left channel looped over Conrad Logan in the Anstey Nomads goal, before his defender’s clearance off the line.

The home side then had what appeared a strong claim for a penalty, after Dom Smalley pushed Michael Reeve in the back, as the forward had surged into the area, latching on to a loose ball. The referee waved the protests that had ensued from Reeve and his team-mates.

Not long after the penalty controversy, Wythenshawe opened the scoring. Steve Hewitt’s sumptuous delivery from a free kick on the right flank was met by Dom Smalley in the penalty area, whose header from close range left Conrad Logan with no chance.

However, the Wythenshawe celebrations were cut short, after the home side responded instantaneously through a goal identical to the opener. An enticing delivery from a free kick on the left channel was fizzed into the six-yard box, before Zayn Hakeem nodded home from close range.

Although Hakeem was on the scoresheet, the forward missed yet another golden chance to put his side ahead, after he breezed past the Wythenshawe defence, and saw his left footed strike drag wide of Morgan Bacon’s goal.  

The home side missed another chance late on, after Zayn Hakeem’s pace down the right channel created space for him to deliver a ball into Mason Lee, whose header from close range glanced wide.

James Kinsey’s side also had a chance to win the game at the death, after Jordan Burton’s low cross from the left flank, expertly found Brad Byrne at the back post, who effort was superbly saved by Conrad Logan.

Penalties then ensued, and Wythenshawe took an early 2-0 lead after Michael Reeve had skied his penalty and Mason Lee struck the post. In contrast, Dom Smalley and Brad Byrne had comfortably dispatched theirs.

Wythenshawe marksman, Matty Bryan then surprisingly failed to hit the target with his effort, after his relatively poor penalty dragged wide.  Charlie Scanlon then slotted his penalty away and appeared to trigger a shift in momentum.

Wythenshawe penalty taker Steve Hewitt, whom akin to Bryan was expected to score, saw his effort expertly saved by Conrad Logan, and after Billy Blackshaw sent Morgan Bacon the wrong way, the shootout was all square.

Wythenshawe captain Jerome Wright then Cooley slotted his penalty away before Zayn Hakeem saw his attempt saved by Morgan Bacon, which sent the Wythenshawe players and fans into a frenzy, with the club reaching the last 8 of the FA vase trophy.

The result leaves the club just 2 rounds away from an encounter at Wembley stadium, with the opportunity to obtain some silverware. The excellent cup run, as well as the promotion race the club finds itself in heading into the business end of the season, means Wythenshawe still have it all to play for.


Older Newer