Town sweep aside Macclesfield in thriller

09 Jan 2022 in News

Town sweep aside Macclesfield in thriller Town sweep aside Macclesfield in thriller

Town in 6 goal thriller as the 3 points come back to south Manchester

A stellar performance from Wythenshawe Town on Saturday as they came from behind twice to inflict Macclesfield’s first home defeat of the season in a six-goalthriller. 

Goals from Matthew Bryan, Deane Smalley, Darius Palma and Brad Byrne 
were enough to see off Danny Whitaker’s league favourites Macclesfield FC. Victory for Wythenshawe sees them remain in third place, just three points off the playoff spot. Defeat for the Silkmen sees their lead at the top cut to two points.

The visitors maintain their superb start to the season, with Monday's result also keeping their promotion hopes alive, with the gap 
to the top being reduced to five points. Their league position is certainly a surprise to many, and the manner in which James Kinsey’s side have adapted to the clubs first time in the Northwest counties premier division. However, for Macclesfield, the result is a major setback in their push for automatic promotion this season. 


The first of the days chances was conceived in the early exchanges, following some aggressive pressing from Macclesfield’s frontline on Wythenshawe’s goalkeeper, Morgan Bacon, who’s messy clearance ended up going for a corner. With the delivery into the box presenting Macclesfield striker, Tom Clare, with a golden chance in front of goal, but headed over from close range.


However, the home side wouldn’t begin to rue the missed chance and took the lead in the eighteenth minute, as James Berry-McNally found the ball on the right-hand side of the box before weaving his way through the Wythenshawe defence, showcasing his dribbling ability, and eventually sliding the ball across goal, passed Morgan Bacon.


Almost instantly, Wythenshawe responded with two quick fire chances of their own, as Darius Palma managed to win the ball off the Macclesfield defence, finding himself in on goal, before his effort was saved by Sam Ashton. The ball immediately rebounded back to the visitors, with some neatand tidy play in and around the penalty area forcing a save from the Macclesfield goalkeeper, following Greg Wilkinson’s effort on the edge of the eighteen-yard box.  


However, just four minutes after Macclesfield’s opener, the game was all square, after some good play down the right-hand side resulted in Matthew Bryan finding some space on the right-hand side of the penalty area, before firing across the goalkeeper and into the top corner.

The goal was the forward’s seventeenth in the league this season, with only three others in the division managing to outscore the Wythenshawe frontman. The home side should have taken the lead just prior to the break, after a poor clearance from Deane Smalley resulted in an overturn of possession with Mark Duffy slipping in goal scorer James Berry-McNally one on one with the goalkeeper, who failed to add to his tally as his effort curled wide of the post.


It only took Macclesfield three minutes to regain the lead in the second half after Berry McNally’s sumptuous ball on the left hand side found Mark Duffy at the back post who guided the ball on to the head of Tom Clare in the middle, who couldn’t miss from a yard outWythenshawe responded with an identical approach to how they conceded the opener, by creating a golden chance of their own, a defence slitting ball found captain Jerome Wright on the left had side of the penalty area, who pulled the ball back towards the penalty spot, finding Darius Palma, who scuffed his lines before Brad Byrne's effort was cleared off the line by Macclesfield defender Alex Bruce.


The Macclesfield centre half certainly gave fans a reminder of what he is capable of, with his clearance emulating that of his father.

The game was then levelled once again, in the fifty seventh minute, after a scramble in the box fell to Deane Smalley, who saw his deflected effort deceive Ashton in the Macclesfield goal.

Wythenshawe were starting to apply pressure on the home side’s goal, clearly not just settling for the draw. 


The pressure applied by the visitors eventually came to fruition after they took the lead for the first time in the match seventeen minutes after their equaliser, as Matthew Bryan’s tireless work off the ball was rewarded, winning the ball off the home side’s defence before pulling the ball back to Palma in an almost identical position he missed previously, but instead buries it into the corner on this occasion. The superb away performance from James Kinsey’s side was then topped off by another goal, as a cross into the box from the right-hand side was spilt by Sam Ashton, with the ball falling to Byrne who nodded in from close range. 

In the end, an eventful affair at the stadium, with the result keeping Wythenshawe’s promotion dreams alive, whilst being detrimental to Macclesfield’s ambitions for automatic promotion.


Written by Harry Dawson




Older Newer