Wythenshawe 2-1 Skelmersdale report

07 Feb 2022 in News

Wythenshawe 2-1 Skelmersdale report Wythenshawe 2-1 Skelmersdale report

Saturday 5th February

Wythenshawe vs Skelmersdale match report

Max Leonard’s late strike is enough to give Wythenshawe all 3 points in Saturday’s clash with Skelmersdale United.

 A first half header from Matty Bryan, and a superb chip from Max Leonard late on are enough to see off promotion hopefuls Skelmersdale United in a commanding performance from James Kinsey’s side, worthy of the 3 points: The win for Wythenshawe sees them overtake their promotion rivals into second place having also played 2 games more.

The home side have certainly given both Skelmersdale and Macclesfield something to think about heading into the final quarter of the season, having also defeated both sides as of late.

Despite the first half being fairly even, with Skelmersdale potentially just edging it, James Kinsey’s half time team talk yet again appeared to spark a reaction from his group of players, that helped his side gain the initiative and find a winner.

However, the initiative in which the home side gained late on appeared to be missing in the early exchanges, to which the visitors had the better of the play. The visitors also conjured up the first clear chance of the game, through some aggressive pressing from the frontline created and overturn of possession deep into opposition territory. The ball then landed at the feet of Daniel Mitchley, who beat the Wythenshawe defender before his low drive was met by a superb save from Morgan Bacon in the Wythenshawe goal.

The goalkeeper proved his importance to the side yet again, and only validated winning the goalkeeper of the month award to which he received recently for his excellent performances.

Kinsey’s side were let off the hook once more as Michael Howard fed on a ball in behind the Wythenshawe backline, before squaring the ball across the edge of the penalty area to Elliott Morris, the recently awarded player of the month, who skied his effort to the relief of the home side.

The Skelmersdale star man failed to replicate his form as of late having netted 5 goals and 2 assists last month. The pacy forward had a disappointing afternoon for a player of the reputation he carries. 

However, eventually the home side ran out of luck, with the visitors opening the score line through a misjudged header from Deanne Smalley, pounced on by Michael Howard, who bared down on goal before confidently breezing past Morgan Bacon and slotting the ball home.

However, it didn’t take long for the home side to respond, after a sumptuous ball in from the right found the man in form, Matty Bryan, who headed home from close range to equalise with half an hour gone.

However, the momentum of the game appeared to change in the second half, as Wythenshawe pressed further up the field, and manged to maintain possession of the ball deep into the opposition’s half.

The domination from the home side eventually resulted in the first clear cut chance of the half, after Matty Bryan was slipped in on goal, and saw his left footed strike cannon off the cross bar.

Bryan’s missed chance was only a sign of what was to come for Paul McNally’s side, who failed to muster anything of note in the second half.

Wythenshawe then had a penalty claim waved away by the referee, after Brad Byrne appeared to have been clipped inside the Skelmersdale penalty area, with the referee disregarding any further protests from Byrne and his team- mates, suggesting that the midfielder had gone down under minimal contact.

Kinsey’s side then should have taken the lead after Matty Bryan sprinted past the opposition full back on the right flank, heading into the penalty area, before the forward unselfishly pulled the ball back towards Harvey Whyte on the penalty spot, whose scuffed effort was easily gathered by Ben Barnes in the Skelmersdale goal. 

However, Wythenshawe wouldn’t begin to rue the missed chances, as Max Lenoard was slipped in on goal, with Ben Barnes appearing to have missed judged the speed of the pass to which Leonard had received, resulting in the goalkeeper being several yards off his line. Leonard then delicately chipped in the winner with 15 minutes to play.

The celebration that ensued illustrated how much the 3 points would mean to both the players and the fans, as Max Leonard slid on his knees in front of his supporters before celebrating with the fans.

Wythenshawe could have made the dying moments an easier watch for their fans, as Harvey Whyte’s effort struck the post after managing to weave his way through the Skelmersdale defence.

Skelmersdale struggled to create anything late on as they began to chase the game, with the home side effectively managing out the last few minutes with some excellent organisation in the back line, that topped off a stellar display.

The result puts Wythenshawe back amongst the race for promotion, but for Macclesfield and Skelmersdale it means they may have to keep an eye on James Kinsey’s side as we head into the closing moments of the season.



Older Newer